• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need some fast help. Towing it a lifted m1008 with the stock m1008

84cucv1ton

a friend is bringing his new toy back up to Jersey. He is flat telling it. His 1008 is all stock. The one he bought has a 4 inch or 6 inch lift it and 37 inch tires. the truck he's towing is jerking around the tow vehicle. he said is like the truck he's towing is trying to go side to side.. that's what he said. He thinks it's the towbar. I don't see how that would have anything to do it. I'm not 100% what he means. Any ideas?I have none. thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far does he have to go?

Is the steering locked?

How fast is he towing?

DieselBob

Chances are that the lifted truck has had the front axle rotated to help with front drive shaft angle which in turn reduces the caster setting and can cause the vehicle to wander. Add in the normal slop in the tow bar and it can seem like it has a mind of it's own. If he has a long way to go a dolly would be the best bet. Otherwise slow and easy gets my vote. Also are the tires on both vehicles inflated correctly.

84cucv1ton

he's going real slow. Happens about 30 miles an hour. steering is not locked. I believe about three hours. Tires are all good. Diesel Bob never thought about the lift. That could be it.

CycleJay

84CUCV1TON,

Have your friend try this and let me know how it goes/what happens.

Have your friend tie a short rope to the unlocked steering wheel,
while the steering wheel is turned so the front wheels are very straight,
then pass the rope between the driver door and driver door jamb,
pulling the rope real tight to get a good hold on the steering wheel in a
wheels stright position, then shut the driver door.

See if that helps... It has worked for me before when I have had to flat tow,
pm me with results please.. Also, advise him to drive slow and easy.

Good day,

CJ

84cucv1ton

good idea but the 6.2 is blown. I think we might have figured out. Passenger side rear tire was flat. Put on the spare. Spare tire to 35 inch tire. I think maybe Detroit locker is locking and unlocking? I'm thinking that's what happened to me one time. about nine o'clock still not in New Jersey. going to put on the other 35 inch tire.Hope this solves it.

Onestar

Towing almost anyting with four wheels where the front two can steer or rotate at all will almost always jump around unless you have some way to lock the front steering. But if you lock the front two wheels it will be very interesting to go around corners.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks