• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need some Gen 2 help

sierrajcharlie

I was checking the lights in my instrument cluster so I had the panel etc off. I had the bezel off to the right when the voltmeter touched the speaker bracket. There was a spark and I got it away from it right away. Now though the voltmeter doesn't work and I have no Gen2 light when I turn the key on. I looked in the manual quick but only see a fuseable link coming off of Gen 2. It appears to have a solid piece of rubber on the wire but doesn't seem to be able to be taken apart. Does this need to be completely replaced or is there a fuse in it or is there a fuse somewhere else. I'd appreciate any help!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the lowest fuse in the fuse box.

sierrajcharlie

AHHH! Thanks for the reply. I looked at the diagram in the manual but didn't see it!! Yup, the stupid thing is popped. On my way to the store now to get some fuses. Been telling myself I should have some on hand, now I'll pay for it. Thanks alot for the solution!!!

Milbikes

A good example of the great knowledge base on this forum. I will add fuses to tomorrow's list when at the parts store. H.

sierrajcharlie

Just an update. Got the fuse replaced and she's up and running again! Not an excuse, but the fuse in that panel was a 15 amp. Really not sure why that was. Basically, I just went into overdrive when things didn't come up correctly. So it's been an interesting afternoon. I thougt I had bulbs out in the cluster but everything was as should be except theres a lamp just hanging. Can't figure out where it's supposed to be installed.

One really interesting thing I foud in the rig. A piece of paper that I hadn't been able to get pulled out before. On it reads:

HHC 105th EN BN 305 Teal Dr Raeford, NC 28376.

I thougt it was a southern unit, no rust anywhere. I got it out of Ft. McCoy, WI. So, it's come a long way in its journey.
:beer: Appreciate the help with this!!!!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color are the wires on the light that is hanging? can you post a picture of it?

sierrajcharlie

Dash is back togethor. If I remember right they were black and gray and behind the voltmeter, hanging down. I only have the one Blazer so I don't have anything to compare it to. FYI the lights I have are: the fuel gauge, speedometer and supposed to have one on the voltmeter(it's shot). I thougt there should be one on the heater control but couldn't find a place to put it. The one hanging is supposed to be pushed in and turned and only long enough to go to an in dash radio, if there was one. Thanks for the interest!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the light your asking about is your heater control lamp.

Attachments

sierrajcharlie

Thanks for the diagram but I'll be danged if I can find a spot on the control to install the light. I had it out and looked it over pretty well. But, then again, I couldn't find the right fuse placement for my other ordeal. I'll pull it out and look again later. THIS time I'm going to pull that fuse BEFORE I start to take stuff apart!! Thanks again!!

sierrajcharlie

Surprises are sometimes good. When they include sparks, not so much. You always seem to learn more when things go wrong. I learned today!!
But at the same time I was working on dash lights. So, I needed to be able to check what was going on. With the neg. off I'd have to keep getting out and rehooking it. Next time though there will be more precautions taken.

Last edited: