• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some GETT / Applied ECU / 23kw 3 Phase Generator Electrical Help

gotaconvoy

Update - Thanks to everyone and their suggestions. Turns out I didn't have to pull that rear bearing housing at all. I forgot the generator spins, and after remembering, I was able to bump it over and access the diodes.

Spoke to the sole Mecc Alte dealer in the US. They sell a ton of these diodes and are 2 weeks back-ordered.....at $37.70 EACH. He was helpful, but didn't have any specs on the diodes and said the only place that sells them is Mecc Alte.

I pulled one of the old diodes off and there's zero markings, bands, nothing. I googled Mecc ALte diode and found these which are visually similar:

They're in the UK, but I used the 'D2-25A' portion and found these on Amazon which are 20 for $7:

They are visually similar, good to 1000v, and listed at 20A. I was unable to find any 25A, but I was willing to risk the $7 investment.

Just got done cutting the existing diode leads as close to the bad diode as possible and soldering in 6 new diodes (diode bands all face the same way - on the leading edge of the diode if it was to spin clockwise when viewed from the end of the alternator where you're working).

Fired it up and for the first time the control panel lit up! I'm now getting 56vac line to line, and 32vac line to nuetral. Obviously not where we need to be, but I'm making progress. I suspect I will have to go back to step 1 of this thread and flash it, but I ran out of time and had to call it a night.

I'll be out of pocket 2 weeks but will update you all when I'm able to work on it again.

Thanks again for the help and if you've got any ideas why the voltage is so low, let me know!

Last edited:

gotaconvoy

Update - Still getting between 40-60 vac out of the alternator. Went back to step 1 of the troubleshooting and re-verified some steps.

Red to Red at the voltage regulator is about 33 vac when running.

When I try and flash the blue / yellow at the voltage regulator with a 9v battery, anything longer than a 1/4 second tap blows the fuse on the voltage regulator.

Interestingly, as I was setting up the 9v (blue wire disconnected from AVR and hooked to neg of the battery) without the generator running, with my shoulder resting on the frame of the generator, I shocked the crap out of myself when I touched the bare 9v positive to the yellow terminal. Surprised the hell out of me because it wasn't running, and I was using a single 9v battery.

Anyway, I guess I should buy a voltage regulator? Markings: mecc alte spa UVR 6 8172 TC 09-07

Someone previously said I can just use some $20 ebay version?

Last edited by a moderator:

gotaconvoy

@Scoobyshep @kloppk - Hoping you guys have some insight for me.

Installed the new AVR today (opted for the correct one, not a universal one). After install I'm back to getting 4 VAC out of the alternator, and across red to red at the AVR.

However, If I try to flash the yellow/blue wire with 12v leads from the battery, I get about 40 VAC out and the LEDs on the AVR light up for the first time (red stays on the entire time I have the power lead connected, and green comes on momentarily when I first apply 12 VDC to the yellow). Interestingly enough, nothing happens at all if I try to power the yellow / blue with 1 to 3 9v batteries in series. I only get a response when I jump it from the starting battery but I only do 1 second max taps as I don't want to fry anything with an overcurrent situation.

Got any ideas where I should go next with this?