• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need some help mounting my tires

Dirtygrunt

I got a set of one piece wheels from Longs and some 395s now any ideas on how to put them together lol I have been trying for about 2 hours a still havent got one done thanks for any ideas

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
lube and tire irons?

Have you ever changed/mounted tires before?

R Racing

First off Doghead your Cartman pic is got me rolling !! rofl:not worthy:

Ok now to the question at hand. I couldn't emagine putting on 395's on a 1 peice wheel without a tire machine !! Thats more than self punishment !!

Last edited:

Ride2Kill

I hope you got some bigger tire irons, a lot of dish soap and a friend willing to help you out. If you cant get it, Id take them to a nearby truck stop and save your back.

smoke

I hope you got some bigger tire irons, a lot of dish soap and a friend willing to help you out. If you cant get it, Id take them to a nearby truck stop and save your back.
I agree. I use to work for a small trucking company. We had to break down and replace tires ourself back breaking work in the dead of summer. The best way I found was to lay the rim with the dish up lay tire after lubeing the crap at of the bead facing down toward the rim on a angle 50/50 then I would stand on it right where it meet the rim one leg on one side other on the other side and try to walk the bead on. Once it would not go on any more I would take tire iron work the rest on. Once you get that bead on lube the crap out of the other bead and the lip of the rim use the tire iron between the lip of the rim and tire to push the other bead down. Sometime good to have friend stand on that side of tire to help get bead under the lip. Once on get a couple under your belt it will go better just not for your back. And before anybody else say it nopics

Vintage iron

Changing big tires is not that hard if you know what you are doing. Well Ok! supersingles are heavy. But this is what I have learned. First of all you said that you are using one piece rims? You are also using 395 R20 MILITARY TIRES? I would check to see if 395 will work on one piece rims. If I remember right the bead area is thicker.

If the tires are going to mount you need to start mounting the tire from the correct side of the rim. It is always easier to mount tires from the dished side of the wheel. The lip is smaller on that side of a one piece wheel. Put a coat of grease on the bead area of the tire. I use a 2" paint brush. Lay the rim on a piece of cardboard and then on the garage floor dished side up. Stand the tire beside the wheel and let it fall on the rim. The weight of the tire will do a lot of the work. Work the tire around, the grease will help the bead slide over the lip. Yes 3 foot long tire irons will help you work the bead around too. If you work at a tire place you know the rest. GOOD LUCK!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice shiny tool, but total unnecessary.:cookoo: Just stand on the tire!
You must have experience with many others but... have you ever mounted this exact size on this particular wheel....???

FYI, from your previous post:
If the tires are going to mount........
YES, they do...!
.....you need to start mounting the tire from the correct side of the rim. It is always easier to mount tires from the dished side of the wheel. The lip is smaller on that side of a one piece wheel....
It doesn't matter in this case; the rim is symmetrical....
Put a coat of grease on the bead area of the tire.....
Only if it were silicon grease...! Better use soapy water or much better, special tire mounting lube. Do NOT use normal chassis grease, it contains mineral oil...!
....let it fall on the rim. The weight of the tire will do a lot of the work.....
That won't help anything here...!

When it comes to working around Deuces I do everything myself but so far I've mounted only one 395/85R20 on this same type of wheel.... realized that it was to much exercise and that I was ruining the paint and (almost) the tubeless! tire bead, too..... then decided to take the rest of them to the tire shop nearby where they have the correct machine to mount the big tractor tires and got all 6 done in less than 30 minutes....!

G.

Attachments

Vintage iron

Well GringelTaube That was helpful and constructive. I will not get into the typical back and forth with you.I am just trying to help the original poster with some helpful tricks that have helped me. Anything is worth a try before you spend your hard earned cash! Dirtygrunt I wish you luck and I hope my post was helpful to someone. Semper Fi!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yea my local tire-rama charges $22 to dismount and mount new tires on my stock 5tons rims or the 2 piece ones I just picked up. and the Les-Shwab is $21 a tire. For that price, Ill let them do it, not worth the time nor the nagging my wife will give me the whole time im doing it around the house. :)

Dirtygrunt

Thanks for all the replys I took them to a local truck tire shop and when the little guy came out to get the tires i felt bad for him cause they had kicked my butt for three hours before quiting. But he had all five mounted within a couple of hours.

jimmcld

Thanks for all the replys I took them to a local truck tire shop and when the little guy came out to get the tires i felt bad for him cause they had kicked my butt for three hours before quiting. But he had all five mounted within a couple of hours.

Don't feel bad. I took some tractor tires to have them mounted and a young girl did them.