• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Some Help on Re-Installing the Transfer Case and Transmission

Bravo2Uniform

I removed my transfer case and transmission for a minor rebuild. That is done and now I'm trying to re-install. My Chilton's manual says, coyly, "Install in reverse order of dis-assembly." Well, no kidding! I once helped install a 634,000 pound boiler vessel. It was actually simpler and quicker than this whole "Install in reverse order of dis-assembly" instruction.

I am using a transmission jack to raise / lower the unit. I have eyeballed the alignment of the splines. When I go to mate up the unit, it feels like I'm hitting a something. Since I do know the splines are aligned, I don't have a clue why the unit is just sliding in and mating up.

I did put a jack stand under the bell housing because I was concerned when I removed the xfer / xmission cross member there might be some kind of deflection. I noticed the jack stand is now tight against the housing, so something has sagged or shifted.

I think the issue is one of alignment. I am going to buy some all thread and see if that helps me align the bolt holes.

Any other ideas? I can't find the golden search string on installing the xfer / xmission on Google so I've found nothing there.

ralph3162

Sounds like the clutch disc is a little out of center so your not lined up to the pilot bearing in the flywheel where the end of the transmission shaft goes.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a tyranny at rally that at least 4 or 5 people tried to get it back in and it out of the truck then all sudden it went right in. You just need to hold your mouth right and your tongue in the right place lol

ralph3162

They make an alignment tool that can be used to line up and center the clutch to the pilot bearing but if you move trans around to much trying to get it in you will throw the alignment off again and then you will have to re align it again.

Bravo2Uniform

They make an alignment tool that can be used to line up and center the clutch to the pilot bearing but if you move trans around to much trying to get it in you will throw the alignment off again and then you will have to re align it again.
I've seen such a tool in various catalogs, now I know what it is used for. I'll get one 'cause what I'm doing is not working. Thanks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM9-8014 sez to pull the engine/transmission as a "pack" and stab the trans with everything on the floor in front of your eyes. I have done it both ways and I assure you doing it like the TM says is way easier.

Bravo2Uniform

TM9-8014 sez to pull the engine/transmission as a "pack" and stab the trans with everything on the floor in front of your eyes. I have done it both ways and I assure you doing it like the TM says is way easier.
Yes, if I had it to do over again I would have coughed up the cash and bought an engine hoist so I could do that. Hindsight, they say.

agazza2

You can loan a clutch alignment tool from Autozone, or O'Rielly Autoparts. They usually just charge a refundable deposit.Once the clutch disc is centered and the angle is right of the transmission, it should go right in.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not for this particular application, but we found out that the plastic clutch alignment 'tool' for my 03 RAM 2500 manual transmission also fits the deuce clutch plate. Many times the nose will just start into the pilot bearing before the gears catch it - so the trick is to be able to move the front gear by rotating the output shaft until they line up - much easier said than done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks