• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help please..

Powerstroke94

Ok kind of a long story...here we go.
Well about a week and a half ago I decided to take the deuce out for a Sunday drive and it had just rained 3 inches the day before. So I decided to go dirt roading to get a little mud on the tires. Well about 4-5 miles off a county road I come across a waist deep creek(didn't know that at the time)and I had to go through it. So I dropped it into 3rd low in 6x6 and headed into the creek. Well just so happened I went a little to fast and here came a wave of water up over the hood and I was thinking oh S*%$. Water filled up the air cleaner and got down into the turbo and the engine died halfway out of creek. I popped the hood took off the air cleaner drained the water out of it, then took off the intake hose connecting the turbo the the air cleaner and water came out of it, then I felt down by the inducer wheel and it had water down in it. Dried out as much water as I could then I called my buddy to come jump me off. We finally got it started again..wasn't locked up..it white smoked for a little while and I started back to town. So about 3/8 of the way home I heard a whining noise coming from the turbo and it started to white smoke pretty bad so I pulled over immediately and killed it. Pulled the intake tube off and the inducer nut was laying there inside of the turbo. Apparently it came off and shredded the inducer wheel and the bearings went out. My buddy pulled me home and I started to take the turbo off. The next day I drained the oil and I didn't see but very little if not any water in it. Water drops were however up underneath the valve covers. Took them off and cleaned it all up. Filled with new oil and waited for a "new to me" used turbo. I finally got it today from my surplus dealer right up the street from me and put it on. Got everything tightened up and fired her up. Sounded a little rough at first but got better. When I went to rev it up it sounded choppy. Im stumped on what to check/fix now. Any ideas?:-?

Here are some videos of it...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmfjuwn3eWU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AraQY6IBIFo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dVUNPHDnfY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Powerstroke94

Oh and also there was what looked like to be water oozing out between the exhaust and the turbo. It didn't feel like oil..dried up quick. In the second video you can kinda see it barely oozing but earlier not in any of the videos it was oozing pretty darn good.

Well I'm no diesel mechanic, but that last clip "weird sounding rev" sounds like she's not hitting on all 6 to me. The turbo sounds beautiful, but you don't need all 6 to get the hair dryer to spin. Did you happen to check your fuel tank for water after your truck's little "swim"?
:popcorn:

panshark

I wasn't at the creek, so I don't know the conditions...a good rule of thumb around here is to stay in 4x until you get stuck, and then extricate yourself in 6x. This would be true especially if you're wheelin by yourself. Good thinking to drop into low range.

Hope you get back to optimum performance soon! (And can't wait to see your snorkel build):)

DeucesWild11

Check the primary fuel filter, You have checked it before no? Something you should do before every start part of the SOP. If there is allot of water in there then go to the secondary and final and drain out till you get clear fuel. Mine looked like this after the first time I checked it. If you had water coming up over the hood then it definitely covered the fuel tank. I'm guessing some got in since the gas caps on these trucks are leaky anyway.

BTW there was no OJ in the bottle, that's all cruddy fuel and water mixed..

Also if you got allot of water in all the filters, then go for the drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank. You may need to flush out the fuel tank..

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you download and read the -10 series TM's . DeucesWid11 is correct about draining primary filter daily per the TM . You should be checking the brake fluid level daily also.
TM's are free to download in the resources section.

Powerstroke94

Check the primary fuel filter, You have checked it before no? Something you should do before every start part of the SOP. If there is allot of water in there then go to the secondary and final and drain out till you get clear fuel. Mine looked like this after the first time I checked it. If you had water coming up over the hood then it definitely covered the fuel tank. I'm guessing some got in since the gas caps on these trucks are leaky anyway.

BTW there was no OJ in the bottle, that's all cruddy fuel and water mixed..

Also if you got allot of water in all the filters, then go for the drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank. You may need to flush out the fuel tank..
No I haven't checked it. I guess I went brain dead when I was trying to think what to do next. I'll do it first thing when I get home.

And porkysplace I do have the -10 and other manuals. Got them when I bought the truck. I have read through some of it but haven't finished it. I need to get on that.

I would think a good strong flashlight and a look inside the tank would be in order. Unless you're running WMO and your fuel is black, I would think you'd be able to see water in there. Also inspect and if needed replace the seal on your tank cap. Because your tank is vented through a line up under the hood, your cap should be air/water tight just for the purpose of fording shallow bodies of water. It would probably be in your best interest to inspect your axle, transmission and transfer case vent tubes and make sure you don't have water in any of the drive members. If any of the aforementioned drive members has an open vent and was warm from operational friction (brakes) or engine heat, the cold water hiiting and cooling them would literally suck a considerable amount of water into the vents. It might not be a bad idea to just change out all your drive member lubricants just to be on the safe side if there's any doubt. On the bright side, you can take all that used lubricant, run it through a filter or two making sure to extract any water, mix a little gasoline or methanol in to thin it up a little and stick it in the fuel tank. If you're gonna be green, might as well use that multi-fuel capability to go all the way!
:popcorn:

Powerstroke94

Well I wish I could run WMO but apparently when the truck was decommissioned they took off the part to were you could run alternate fuels. It sucks:x I Have all my axles fitted with extended vent lines up to underneath the hood. I know for a fact that my front axle is water tight. I just replaced both boots just about a month ago. But I think I might just check the rear axles to be safe.:wink:

rlwm211

Unless your truck has a different motor than the multifuel it is always going to be capable of burning different fuels.

The FDC varies the IP pressure based on fuel density. The fuel is delivered the same way after a FDC is bypassed as before.

Install a pyrometer and keep track of the heat in the exhaust and you can burn more dense fuel than ULSD. If you install it post turbo in the 45 (this turns the exhaust towards the J pipe and this connects to the flex pipe) and keep the temperatures below 1200 you should be fine. Know that it is 100 degrees hotter ahead of the turbo and 1300 in the manifolds and above is the point where you can start causing accumulative damage to the pistons and other combustion chamber components. That can get beyond expensive in a very short time.

So, you can burn WMO.

As to draining the filters to remove water and such, the -10 manual is very explicit on how to do it.

If you have not, you should download a set of manuals for your truck so you have the resources available all the time.

They are located here in the resources section or at
www.jatonkam35s.com in the deuce TM section along with TMs for all the components for the deuce. There are over 60 manuals listed just in the deuce section there.

Last edited:

Powerstroke94

My truck does have the multi-fuel engine. I was not aware that you could still run different fuels with the FDC removed. Good thing I saved the oil I drained earlier last week! And I have been planning on installing a pyrometer pre turbo. I have one on my dd pre turbo and I like it better there. I also have the -10 and a few other manuals in paper back. I just need to get back to reading them.

You're gonna laugh at this but I'm serious as eyeball cancer. Take those print manuals, throw in a bookmark or two and put them in the bathroom, or as I call it "The reading room".
It may take a little while to read them there, but you'll learn a lot in a reasonable amount of time.
:grd: