• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help with a trailer question

Monty

I'm looking to get a 28ft stake bed from GL, I'd like to pull it with my M54 until I have the funds to buy a tractor. I'm looking for a pup trailer ( I think that's what there called) that will allow me to hook up to pintle on my 5ton and pull a 5th wheel plate behind.
I see trucking companys that pull doubles use these I would like to see if it's fesible behind a 5ton

Thanks for the help
Chad

citizensoldier

Should do fine behind a 5 ton cargo.. You are refering to a "convertor Dolly".. You will need 1100/20 tires on it if this trailer is a M127.. Just make sure the brakes are working on both the dolly and the trailer. You will not be able to go very fast though.. Oh and this is a forward only operation unless you posess skill like Dave P or other truckers and even this is a 10' max :D

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
You mean like this

I built this out of an M200A1 generator trailer and it worked great behind my duece. The 28 foot M 127 is a heavy trailer but built like a tank I really like mine. I did not switch it over to 1100. X 20 tires because I knew I would be getting at least one tractor and some of the smaller trailers use 900 X 20 tires. It did cause the M127 to lean forward a little but it tracked down I95 at 55 MPH with the duece.

Attachments

Scrounger

One can pull a semi trailer with a dolly behind a 54 without a problem, that’s how I took one of the 129s to Aberdeen two years ago. If you use as M197 5 ton dolly that has 9x20 tires as David said it will ride a couple inches low in the front, but that is not a problem. However you have to be careful not to over load the weight on the trailer. As far a pulling it is as already stated pretty much a forward only thing, kind of like pulling doubles. In the old DMV books there were called truck pup combinations. A 54 towing an M197 with a 127 grosses almost 34K and you may want to check with the DMV in your state to see what license is needed.

Monty

Scrounger said:
One can pull a semi trailer with a dolly behind a 54 without a problem, that’s how I took one of the 129s to Aberdeen two years ago. If you use as M197 5 ton dolly that has 9x20 tires as David said it will ride a couple inches low in the front, but that is not a problem. However you have to be careful not to over load the weight on the trailer. As far a pulling it is as already stated pretty much a forward only thing, kind of like pulling doubles. In the old DMV books there were called truck pup combinations. A 54 towing an M197 with a 127 grosses almost 34K and you may want to check with the DMV in your state to see what license is needed.
I will take a look at what the DMV requries, Thanks

Chad

Monty

Re: You mean like this

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I built this out of an M200A1 generator trailer and it worked great behind my duece. The 28 foot M 127 is a heavy trailer but built like a tank I really like mine. I did not switch it over to 1100. X 20 tires because I knew I would be getting at least one tractor and some of the smaller trailers use 900 X 20 tires. It did cause the M127 to lean forward a little but it tracked down I95 at 55 MPH with the duece.
I did a search and read everything that you did to put yours together, It looks great. I'll keep an eye open for a M200a1.
What do you think of the M197 or 198's? are the prices high on these? I've looked into some civillain ones and the price's range between 850.00-1500.00.

Thanks again
Chad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks