• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help with a trailer question

Monty

I'm looking to get a 28ft stake bed from GL, I'd like to pull it with my M54 until I have the funds to buy a tractor. I'm looking for a pup trailer ( I think that's what there called) that will allow me to hook up to pintle on my 5ton and pull a 5th wheel plate behind.
I see trucking companys that pull doubles use these I would like to see if it's fesible behind a 5ton

Thanks for the help
Chad

citizensoldier

Should do fine behind a 5 ton cargo.. You are refering to a "convertor Dolly".. You will need 1100/20 tires on it if this trailer is a M127.. Just make sure the brakes are working on both the dolly and the trailer. You will not be able to go very fast though.. Oh and this is a forward only operation unless you posess skill like Dave P or other truckers and even this is a 10' max :D

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
You mean like this

I built this out of an M200A1 generator trailer and it worked great behind my duece. The 28 foot M 127 is a heavy trailer but built like a tank I really like mine. I did not switch it over to 1100. X 20 tires because I knew I would be getting at least one tractor and some of the smaller trailers use 900 X 20 tires. It did cause the M127 to lean forward a little but it tracked down I95 at 55 MPH with the duece.

Attachments

Scrounger

One can pull a semi trailer with a dolly behind a 54 without a problem, that’s how I took one of the 129s to Aberdeen two years ago. If you use as M197 5 ton dolly that has 9x20 tires as David said it will ride a couple inches low in the front, but that is not a problem. However you have to be careful not to over load the weight on the trailer. As far a pulling it is as already stated pretty much a forward only thing, kind of like pulling doubles. In the old DMV books there were called truck pup combinations. A 54 towing an M197 with a 127 grosses almost 34K and you may want to check with the DMV in your state to see what license is needed.

Monty

Scrounger said:
One can pull a semi trailer with a dolly behind a 54 without a problem, that’s how I took one of the 129s to Aberdeen two years ago. If you use as M197 5 ton dolly that has 9x20 tires as David said it will ride a couple inches low in the front, but that is not a problem. However you have to be careful not to over load the weight on the trailer. As far a pulling it is as already stated pretty much a forward only thing, kind of like pulling doubles. In the old DMV books there were called truck pup combinations. A 54 towing an M197 with a 127 grosses almost 34K and you may want to check with the DMV in your state to see what license is needed.
I will take a look at what the DMV requries, Thanks

Chad

Monty

Re: You mean like this

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I built this out of an M200A1 generator trailer and it worked great behind my duece. The 28 foot M 127 is a heavy trailer but built like a tank I really like mine. I did not switch it over to 1100. X 20 tires because I knew I would be getting at least one tractor and some of the smaller trailers use 900 X 20 tires. It did cause the M127 to lean forward a little but it tracked down I95 at 55 MPH with the duece.
I did a search and read everything that you did to put yours together, It looks great. I'll keep an eye open for a M200a1.
What do you think of the M197 or 198's? are the prices high on these? I've looked into some civillain ones and the price's range between 850.00-1500.00.

Thanks again
Chad