• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help with wiring

jmarch58

Usually I'm pretty good with wiring and I can find everything online but I'm having a problem this time guys. I'm going to be really specific because in the past I've been told I need to be clearer. I am running all the wiring for my off road rv project and the panel I got for the house part is from progressive dynamics the 50 amp model. It runs ac and DC. My question come on the DC side ac is easy. I'm wondering if I should just mount a bus bar run all the negatives from the devices to that and then back to the negative on the panel. Any advice I really probably should call an electrician but I don't have money for them. uploadfromtaptalk1432498878106.jpguploadfromtaptalk1432498908816.jpguploadfromtaptalk1432498931854.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know much about RV's but on any other 12 volt vehicular system, the ground return is typically the chassis/body of the vehicle. Looks like you are using wood, so yes it makes sense to run your negatives to a buss, as it appears your panel does not have places to land negative wires.

jmarch58

That was buzzling to me as to why it didn't have a place for them. I was just having a hard time visualizing it but I think I've got it figured it out going to install another bus bar in the box and ground it to the frame

m109a2

Hey Jmarch58. On a a/c you have a common bus for neutral and ground,on d/c just the ground on a bus.I am going to rewire my 109 box and I will isolate between the two.If you check out peashooters thread it might help you.I do not know your what your application is.In my case I will have three a/c feeds going to my transfer switch one will be shore power,another will be my generator,and the third will be from my inverter which is feed from a onboard battery array.I plan on leaving room for charging my array of deep cycle batteries not only with shore power and genset and my deuce,but solar and wind just make sure you have a multinput .Solar is no problem,wind is even more simple ever drive down the road and see one of those electric clothes hangers some people call them treadmills it has a very very good motor and the belt drive hub that you can drill and tap for the 4"pvc pipe into blades check out instructables every seen a little power pack light generater you can tow behind a p.u. I like that telescopic boom I do not want the trailer or lights or generator just winch and operating boom.

jmarch58

That is some great advice I guess my only question is it okay to Ground the bus bar to the frame of the vehicle even though the truck has its own 24v system grounded to the frame

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see no reason why your 12 volt negative, 24 volt negative and 110 volt neutral/ground can't all be grounded/bonded to the frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks