• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need some M1009 civi tire advice

croftonaviation

Well I had a tire blow out this morning on the way to work. Nothing big it was a rear and I had a spare. My other rear tire looks pretty poor and my spare is not much better. what do you guys suggest for a replacement. Price is the major factor here. I don't go off roading (intentionally), and I drive it to work most days. Can I put a regular 15" tire on it (something like a 235 75 15, or am I stuck with what is there? what will fit on the rim? Thanks for your advice and help in advance.

Tom

T_F_E

I would stay with the 31 10.5 r15 they are a fairly common tire and you can get many different styles in that size. Any 15 inch tire will fit on the rim. I see you have an old 9N I use to have one, pretty neat old machines arent they.

JAsher45

I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 31 x 10.5 15 on my truck. they are a great tire for all around road, rain, snow, and mud tire. they have VERY little road noise. all 4 tires ran me about $850 for the set. after 60,000 miles they are still in good shape about 55,000 of that is all highway miles.. you get what you pay for[thumbzup]

Sgt Hulka

I would go to several tire shops and tell them you want the cheapest house brand 31-10.50 you can get. Go with the lowest bidder... Modern tires are like modern electronics or California wines. It's hard to find bad ones at any price...

croftonaviation

I was shocked to find out that these are not too rare of a tire. I found a good spare in a junk yard until I can order some new ones, for $15.00 mounted I figured why not.

jbingvtx

Just about any tire shop will sell at least one type of 31x10.50r15. I am a shop manager for the biggest retailer in the known universe and we keep 2 kinds in stock with more available special order.

T_F_E

My vote is for these or the 33x12.5x15.

Ive had these on all of the 4x4s ive had and have been very pleased. Might be a little more, but they have lasted me about 60-70k miles. The also come in handy when you 'unintentionally' go offroad.
I have them right now bfg all terrains 33x12.5 they fit easily under my m1009 no lift. But 31 10.5 is a very common tire because of toyota/nissan trucks

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

I would go to several tire shops and tell them you want the cheapest house brand 31-10.50 you can get. Go with the lowest bidder... Modern tires are like modern electronics or California wines. It's hard to find bad ones at any price...
I worked at Bridgestone for a while. Much of the difference in tire brands is only the tread pattern. Same sidewall, same steel belts, same everything except tire mold.

NMC_EXP

Check out TireRack.com. For each specific tire there is a specifications page which shows the minimum and maximum rim widths for each size tire. It also shows the tire height and section width.

TireRack also has customer tire ratings and prices. I have not bought from TireRack but I use it for a tech resource.

It is not a good idea to put a skinny tire on a wide rim and vice versa. The tire and rim operate as a system, so stay pretty close to the mfg's recommendations.

I have been using General Grabber AT2 tires for some time. Just put them on my M1009. These are moderately agressive tread, work great in deep snow, rocky trails, sand and pavement. They are quiet on pavement. THe price is to the low end of comparable tires.

31 x 10.50 x 15 was a very common size and it was easy to find a set of like new take-offs from folks going taller. THe 15" size tires are getting scarcer due to the popularity of 16" and now the 17" and 18" gangbanger wheels.

Regards

Jim

Barrman

Yes they will. At least I put brand new BFG AT 33 x 12.50 tires on my M1009 last month and have had no issues. Rides great on the road and does just about as good in the mud as my lockered XZL tired M715.

Others have had issues with the tires rubbing the rear of the front passenger side fender at full turn. Something to check out before you put them on and go driving around.

2deuce

I'm not qualified to say why one tire is better built than another, but from my experience, General tires fail. Of the 8 tires I have bought new for a car and a truck, 6 failed with tread separation. They were over 5 years old when they went, but of all the tires I have bought over the last 40 years those were the only tires I didn't wear out. My belief is different from some of the posts above in that they are not all built alike. I tend to believe that you pay for what you get in new and used. That $15 tire is very likely not a safe tire, even if the tread looks ok. I'm as frugal as anyone but watch out for dry rot. I have bought tires off craigslist and good deals can be found there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks