• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some m35 Brake Help

houdel

bottleworks said:
houdel said:
The stock M35 split brake system used a dual cylinder master cylinder and two AHUs. It split the brake system left/right.
IIRC, the dual system had one piston/circuit for the front axle and the second piston/circuit for both rear axles. What's everyone's typical brake pedal height?
I stand corrected. My previous post was from memory, I rechecked the SMARPI manual, the official dual conversion splits the brakes front and rear. Were I to do the conversion I would do a diagonal split as JimK mentioned (and is used on most vehicles since sometime around the 80s) for improved directional control in event of a partial system failure. The front/rear split conversion was most likely done to simplify brake plumbing, a diagonal split is safer. I wouldn't want to try to stop a Deuce with only front brakes, it would probably try to do a 180, especially if loaded, but I suppose front brakes only are better than no brakes at all.

bugei

lee,

would you provide a link to the manual that documents the "official conversion".

is it legal to refer to the smarpi's in open company, sounds like something i would get my mouth washed out with soap for saying a few years ago.

thanx, i lost my brakes on a prostreet just after i had shut down from a 160 mph run, very religious experience. that failure was caused by a small (1/4" npt) pressure sensing switch "exploding" in a single circuit system and thus creating a "big enough leak", would not care to have a simular experience in a 13000 truck, no matter how slow it goes.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The split brake system "conversion" is not a field conversion. It is something that is done at the factory when the truck is built. From my research, only the M35A2C's built for the US Air Force under contract DAA07-85-C-J047 had the split brake system. David Doyle may have more info on the subject, but I think that info is correct.

As far as I know on SS, only Readyman and I have deuces with the split brake system.

The TM for it is in the TM Library under SMARPI 9-2320-209-14&P

houdel

SMARPI (Supplemental Maintenance And Repair Parts Instructions) 9-2320-209-14&P is in the tech manuals section. Although not a detailed installation manual, it does give enough information for a reasonably competent mechanic to convert a truck to a split system. The hardest part would be finding an appropriate dual chamber M/C which can be installed with a minimum of rework, since the original M/Cs are scarcer than hen's teeth. Other parts, such as the differential pressure gauge (which lights an indicator lamp on the dash panel when there is a pressure failure in one half of the system), are fairly common in the civilian world and would work for this system. Following is the link to the SMARPI:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=85

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
What's everyone's typical brake pedal height?
Without measuring maybe 3", then hard. Mine came to me with no pedal. Bleed out the old fluid and adjusted the shoes. It had air near airpac and one frt wheel. Been fine since. JimK

bugei

thanx all for the references. i thought i was going to have to read every manual in the tm section until i found the right one, not that they are not "can't put it down" kinda reading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks