• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some pictures

AlexFolino

Well the CUCV M1008 i have is finally legal. Now i need to get the charging system correct. I bought 2 new batteries for it however the truck will be dead after its started(alternators and or wiring). The problem is the truck is an electrical mess going to the alternators. I have a big red wire going to the drivers side alternator chopped off and a little black/white stripe wire going towards it broken off. Now obviously i can tell the black wire goes to this alternator because the old piece is still connected however the thick red wire doesn seem to have a home? On the back off this alternator theres like a black rubber boot that connects on the alternator where as the passenger side doesnt have one? Id like some pictures of the back off the alternators on your guys setups so i can see what im working with here... Im curious is its more a wiring issue than just bad alternators. Im only putting out battery voltage out of each alternator. After the truck is slow charged, it will run but if it sits more than an hour after being shut off its stone dead.

AlexFolino

That would be great. Theres just wires going everywhere and i found out i bought the wrong alternators to begin with.. Regardless i will rebuild the old ones since im trying to get this truck in tip top shape as it will be my daily driver but i need to see correct wiring so i know what im getting in to. Ill be doing the doghead modification in a few weeks on top of a 6.5L turbo addition.:beer:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator wiring diagrams are in the TM 9-2320-289-20 Apendix F diagram F-9,and the TM 9-2320-289-34 Appendix e,Diagram E-9.

The BIG red wire is the feed wire to the front battery and the entire electrical system. Very important.

For the alternators to work they have to have an "excitor" circuit. That is the two wire plug on the alternator.

I always love it when someone hacks up the wiring to fix a problem because they don't understand wiring. The future owners come here asking for help and we spend hours trying to figure out what was hacked up.

I am not saying you have done anything but I have seen many people lately not understanding the wiring and "making" changes.

Spend some time reading the first few pages of the Troubleshooting section of the -20 or -34 manuals.It explains how to read the diagrams and what all the wire labels mean.

Last edited:

AlexFolino

Gonna check that all tonight, from the brief look at the schematic whover had this before me really hacked up some stuff. Im hoping considering a lot of wires go to nowhere that most likely my alts are good and obviously are just not wired right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks