• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some wheel recommendations

sarge1

EDIT: disregard question on 15" wheels. Now just looking for taller/wider tire information and maximum width of 16" wheel on otherwise stock truck. thanks

Just had a alignment and balance done and was informed I have a bent wheel. Going to continue driving it for a while until I can afford new wheels and tires(have "loose" belts in the old tires as well, apparently). I was thinking about getting some 15" wheels for more variety in selection of tires and affordability.

Can someone recommend some decent 15" wheels that won't break the bank? I know you usually get what you pay for but I don't want to sink tons of money into it.

I want to get black wheels with the tallest and widest measurements I can get on the stock suspension, I have no plans on doing a lift. Also, I'm sure it has been covered but what backspacing, etc would I need with it. I want to get the tallest tire I can fit and will be getting the tires at the same time as the wheels. I'm looking at BFG A/T's since I do a lot of road driving but want a capable off road tire. If you guys can throw some info out there on this I would appreciate it! Thanks for helping a newb out.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
15" rims will most likely rub on the front brake calipers. They may not fit over the rear brake drums either.

WARWAG

I do not think 15" rims will give you enough room between your disc brakes. I would stay with 16" rims for sure. 8 lug 15" rims are pretty much a custom made item. IF you MUST go that route I believe "Stockton Wheels" can make you up a set. The cheapest way to go would be to use your spares rim and if you dont have a spare go to a junk yard and find some off of a Mid 80s early 90s Chevy or Ford 3/4 ton/ 1 ton. Thats the way I would go. Cheapest way. 15" would not be a good way to go in my opinion. Sometimes you can even find some good rubber on those junk yard trucks if you need to watch your dollars. Another option is to order a set of tires from TREADWRIGHT. These are retreads but are about the best retreads you can get .

235/85R16 - Buy retread tires online from TreadWright.com

Sounds like your on a budget. So this is the best information I could come up with for you. Good Luck!

sarge1

I wasn't sure about clearance with 15's. I'll stick with 16". Same question on the wheels though. I was looking at some ProComps that are on sale for $75 a piece on a website just now. What's the tallest/widest tire configuration you guys know of that will fit without suspension travel issues, rubbing on the wheel wells? Can you even put a wider tire than the 235's on the stock wheel size? I don't do what I would call hardcore wheeling, but would like a taller/wider tire than I the stock ones. Yes, I'm on a budget but I don't believe in skimping on tires. I'll stick with new ones but thanks for the link!

Last edited:

sarge1

Just a little FYI, when you search for Super Lug tires on a search engine, it shows you ones made by Carlisle first, which are for lawn mowers, garden tillers, etc. lol.

Looking further, I found the ones you were meaning, made by McCreary. I do like what I see there and might get some of them. Thanks for the advice, I'll do some more looking into them.

OL AG '89

Is this for a blazer or p/u?
look at my avatar. The tires are 33x10.50x15 Toyo A/T's
They fit fine. I added a lift kit because I needed a little clearance and like the look of the medium lift. NEver had a problem with clearance on drums or rotors.
If it's for a pickup, then can't help you

sarge1

It's a 1008. Kind of looks like a 1009 because of the bed cover if you just glance at it.