• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need starter!??

beaubeau

I have ordered a new starter,{Civy} and I have read that someone has been running a 12 volt starter with 24 volt system, I think it was Acetomato?? Anyways, I was wondering if the starter really last or I will be converting it to 12 volts, which I may do??!!?? I removed starter yesterday and will pick up new one afternoon. I think the starter solenoid is bad, so I will replace the complete unit. Thanks for any input, Phil

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12-volt starters will turn quick at 24V, but not for long. I'd do a 12V conversion if you're getting a 12V starter. It's not that difficult.

JohnFire

Just do the 12V conversion. Not hard and you have already bought the only thing you needed to buy to convert to 12V.

Oh and you will toast the 12V if you try to run it with 24V.

CCATLETT1984

i really wonder why guys go through all this crap, just get the 24v starter rebuilt. It costs the same as having a 12v rebuilt.

You can get a spare (working pull from a cucv or hmmwv) for ~$50 off ebay.

beaubeau

wELL i DID THE 12 VOLT CONVERSION, NO PROBLEM. i REPLACED THE STARTER WITH NEW Reduction drive . I have power for lights but no power to ignition. NOTHING! Dead!! I have power to main juction, glow plug relay, all seems well, but I turn key on NOTHING. I wonder if starter relay is bad? I shall check things out tomorrow. I will do more reading on Electrical problems tonight. Phil

JohnFire

I went through 3 24V starters that the two that the nose cups cracked and then had other basic electrical problems. Kinda got fed up with dealing with the 24V starters after all of those problems. The conversion was simple and easy. The longest part was swaping the starter. Now I don't worry about my battery 1 going dead, cause they share the load for all electrical usage.

CCATLETT1984

john, when your nose cones cracked, did you have the support bracket attached to the front of the starter?

I did have a cone crack on my truck once, looking at it, was not the best design, the replacement cone $20 looks much stronger.

JohnFire

Yep, I had the bracket. When the cone broke on the first one the starter jammed burned out and melted the wires. Things that made it worse was for some of this I was gone overseas and my dad had to deal with it. The 24v system is really a poorly designed system that GM threw together for the military since the military wanted 24V for jumpstarting other military vehicles. I personally don't see any negative points if someone converts to 12v. Only positves cause now it is back on par with a standard 12v system. Parts are easier to come by no confusion by parts places, only 1 alternator needed and easy to jumpstart plus batteries share the load.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plus side for me is that I can jump start my M54A2 or my XM211, which I have had to do several times.
I bought the geared 24volt starter from a place in southern CA. and it starts up very quickly.

portert0224

CCATLETT1984 said:
john, when your nose cones cracked, did you have the support bracket attached to the front of the starter?
My mil OEM starter that I removed when I got my gremlin was not connected to a support bracket. I think I'm missing mine, but the OEM starter tuned out not to be the problem. I bought one of those 24v gear reduction starters off Ebay. If I were able to find the starter bracket, will these gear reduction starters (which have a smaller body) hook up with the OEM starter bracket? Also, does anyone know a source for a starter bracket?
Thanks,
Tracy

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter bracket

If you can't find one for the 24v geared starter, you can easily make one.
But make darn sure you do. All you need to do is bend some metal in a vice and drill two
or three holes. Don't remember exactly. Just make sure the metal is thick enough and strong enough.

beaubeau

RE: Starter bracket

I have just converted my 1009 to 12 volts. It was not difficult and is the best way to go. I got a new starter, $180.00,gear reduction and I was able to use the same "Support bracket" from 24 volt starter. I cut about 1 in. from the end and drilled another hole and installed on new starter. This vehicle starts much better now and much Lighter!!! Removed all un-nessary wires and supports for radio equip and such. Just remember, Do not remove RED wire from junction block like I did. It feeds the Fuse box!! Phil

beaubeau

RE: Starter bracket

I thought I should put this to print. I now have a 24 volt Used starter for 6.2 cucv in good working condition. They wanted it back for a Core. I paid $50.00 for core and thought someone might use this . I shall sell for $60.00 plus Shipping.Just PM me if interrested. Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks