• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need suggestions on battery powered impact wrench for Airlift and front winch install

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am about to install a front winch and a rear airlift bumper on my 1987 HMMWV with some rusted bolts. Is there a decent battery impact wrench that I can purchase at Home Depot or Lowe’s that will work well.

I do not wish to bring my air compressor three stories down to my driveway.

Also what size is that huge nut I need to loosen to place the bumper supports and what size is the pintle crown nut?

Thank you In advance.

T

[EDIT May 04, 2021 - For future readers of this thread who don't want or need to dig deep to find the answer...

I purchased the Milwaukee 2767-20 after many many people on this and another forum recommended it. They were correct. It has been outstanding.]

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Milwaukee 1/2" or 3/4" impact will do most jobs on any military trucks.

Milwaukee current promo has a free 5.0mah battery with a bare tool purchase

M1165A1

I use the Dewalt 1/2", just do some digging on whatever tool you get - all the manufacturers seem to offer a high torque and medium torque version. Don't get the medium torque version.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my milwaukee 1/2", so far I haven't found anything it can't do that my older 3/4" pneumatic also can't do.

sgtmike3

I have a Craftsman 20v impact that hasn't removed anything I've put it on. The castle nut in the pintle isn't torqued so the pintle can move, it's a 1 7/8" nut. The last one I removed with a pipe wrench, carefully and without a problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks one and all.

I bought the 2767-20 with 2 batteries. I bought a Husky 64 piece impact socket set (containing Metric and SAE and deep sockets and a few sockets over 1"). I bought the biggest breaker bar I could find. I bought penetrating oil and a propane torch for stubborn nuts and bolts.

Earlier this week Mac Motors provided spacers and nuts and washers and bolts so I thought I was set.

Of course when I just went to Home Despot it was sunny and the birds were singing and it was warm. As soon as I left the exit at Home Despot with my new tools, the Sun went away. By the time I was home it was cold and damp, and it had started to drizzle. Who says God has no sense of humor. "Men make plans... God Laughs."

I'm using the time to charge my new Lithium batteries and watch the ball game. I guess I need to get to the honey-do-list instead. About 30 new shades to hang.

Hoping that by this time next week my M1025A1 becomes a M1026A1 with additional rear airlift bumper and ratcheting spare tire carrier and pintle extension.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sure you probably read my thread.
Notes from my experience as fyi.

Invest in a good line wrench and crow foot for the hoses. One was a bear to get off. I think it was 18mm. Check my thread.

4 bolts that will be for the extension need to be longer than stock for airlift. Do you have the backing plates? I just used some scrap I had cut to fit.

You will need to fabricate a stop for the tire carrier with the extension.

Are you also using the towing reinforcement plate?

Good time to also do the mudflaps at the same time.

I have a set of the super rare close out panels for the mudflaps. Most are cracked on the kits on ebay since they are plastic. Send pm. 😀

I would be glad to send any pics you need.

You need a different bearing plate for the pintle with extension than stock. Depth is different.

Have fun and a helper to hold things while you bolt will cut down on the cussing.😎

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Milwaukee 1/2" or 3/4" impact will do most jobs on any military trucks.

Milwaukee current promo has a free 5.0mah battery with a bare tool purchase
Getting ready to buy one of these impacts, but can’t find any info on the free battery promo. Can you point me in the right direction?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Getting ready to buy one of these impacts, but can’t find any info on the free battery promo. Can you point me in the right direction?
I can get you a copy of the ad on Monday. it changes all the time. when I bought mine I got a free fuel 18v grinder with it. Last week I bought bought 18v fuel Hackzall and it had the 5.0 battery for free.

I can get it from my supplier and drop ship it to you with whatever promo he shows. I think one ends the 30th.

The 3/4" gun is the same size as the 1/2" the 3/4" gun I have has the one key system

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer Wes, I found a new 2767-20 for $150 that I think I better jump on. I’ll just use my 12.0 battery with it for the time being.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the offer Wes, I found a new 2767-20 for $150 that I think I better jump on. I’ll just use my 12.0 battery with it for the time being.
Not bad. I prefer the 3/4" gun the 1/2" doesn't do much i need. I use use 3/8 mini and 1/2" mini more than anything

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Milwaukee high torque unit is terrific. Gobs of power. Rust was no issue. Front bumper came off easily in under five minutes.

Now I gotta find the TM in installing an electric front winch. I have a unit BUT I want to see an exploded diagram.

springer1981

The Milwaukee high torque unit is terrific. Gobs of power. Rust was no issue. Front bumper came off easily in under five minutes.

Now I gotta find the TM in installing an electric front winch. I have a unit BUT I want to see an exploded diagram.
The Milwaukee works great. I don't even have the brushless one and it does everything easily.

Last edited:

Gamble

I use the dewalt 3/8 with the 1/2 in extension in my socket set. You will need the larger sockets for the airlift bumper, particularly to remove the pintle.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ad

Attachments

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the dewalt 3/8 with the 1/2 in extension in my socket set. You will need the larger sockets for the airlift bumper, particularly to remove the pintle.
Thanks.

For the pintle I will go for a bench removal with a traditional adjustable monkey wrench and a table top vice.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Milwaukee just ripped a grade 8 3/4 inch head bolt to pieces. YIKES.

There are 4 battery settings. I must have pressed 11. LOL

Thing works great

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Milwaukee just ripped a grade 8 3/4 inch head bolt to pieces. YIKES.

There are 4 battery settings. I must have pressed 11. LOL

Thing works great
Great for loosening or removing old bolts.
Not so good for installing new ones.
(I have the old version with only 2 settings and supposedly 800 ft lbs, not the newer 1400 ft lb version, and it's more than enough for anything that doesn't require a 1" drive impact or 6 foot cheater bar)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks