• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need TM to test the voltage regulator

drjconley

I read the general TM for the MEP-003, but I would like to test the voltage regulator itself to make sure that is my problem. I would also be interested in fixing it myself if possible.
Is there another TM I should be reading?

Jim

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 5-6115-585-34 page 6-9 step "d" has the bench test procedure for the voltage regulator and the schematic diagrams for repair, however it does not specify any repair procedures, it only tells you to replace a bad regulator.

When looking at the schematics, keep in mind that they show two different models of regulators, one is for the 400 Hz and one is for 60 Hz

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,

Did you make any headway with your testing and/or repair?? We're curious to find these things out.

drjconley

Speddmon,

I went through the machine and tightened alot of screws and nuts and bolts. I checked the grounds. I looked over the voltage regulator and I could find no evidence of damage to the board or components. I read one of your old posts and you spoke highly of a store to buy components for generators so I just bit the bullet and bought a new voltage regulator board. I ordered it last week so I should have it soon. I will be putting it in this weekend. I will let you know how it works out. I sure hope this will solve my problem. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what are you doing with the old board??????:twisted::twisted: If that was indeed your problem?

drjconley

Installing the new voltage regulator board fixed my voltage problem. When it is running I get a voltage varitation of about 15 volts. It is enough that the work lights will pulsate a little bit.

Is a small voltage varitation normal? If it is will it hurt any electronics?

My battery indicator gauge is staying in the yellow. I tested the voltage on the batterys both running and off and they are at 25 volts.

Should I be worried about the alternator or chargeing system?

Thanks for the help, I am haveing a ball tinkering with all this equipment.

Jim

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
voltage variation when it's running should not be normal....go through the TM and adjust the voltage regulator. There are a couple of pots to adjust and the TM covers them pretty well...you may need to take it back out and hook it up to the simple test circuit though.

As to the DC side, are both batteries known to be good??? 25 volts running seems low to me...Mine are running at around 26.5 to 27 volts. Again, the TM has pretty good information about making a simple load test for the charging system, and checking the output from the generator coil, and voltage regulator. Just my 2cents but if you find you'll need a voltage regulator, I would look on the internet and try to find a 15 to 20 amp 24 volt regulator somewhere. It'll probably be a whole lot cheaper than trying to but a NOS one, unless you can come across a good used one.

If you need more detailed information just ask, and I'll try to help out.

Edit: again, what do you have in mind for the old voltage regulator board?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks