• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to know what series this 1991 AM general 5 ton is?

wsucougarx

M939A2 series. Truck has an Allison automatic transmission. The shifting could be an issue with the shifter linkage. $4,000 sounds about right depending on mechanical condition of the truck.

sed6

Wait now, OP says manual transmission. He's either wrong or the trucks been modified (even possible?). If he's wrong about the trans he might be wrong about the model year. Crappy pic but I don't see any CTIS either...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've never seen a stock 900 series 5 ton with a manual transmission. Either the OP is mistaken or the truck has been modified. Or course it could also be some kind of prototype which might make it a rare collectible. If it has been butchered (modified) then everything else is suspect. If it is an A2 with the 8.3 Cummins diesel and it is a runner then I'd say 4k is fair unless it has been modified.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully a plate where you would consider the glove compartment location on an old pickup truck. Also wouldn't this be a BMY, not an AM General?

M925A2 with dump hoist

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:lost:

Never heard of a M939 truck with a manual. I am 99% sure it is modified. Little chance it is a prototype.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked that low resolution photo on my big computer screen, and do not clearly see any signs of the CTIS on the front wheel to prove that it is an A2.
If it is a M923A2 the front wheel might look like this, if the CTIS has not been removed.

Also raise the hood on the truck and look for the turbo on an A2

M925A2 with dump hoist

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a 1991 Am General 5 Ton 6x6 with good tires. Will go backwards, not forward. Runs. Title. $4,000 OBO.

That's all the craigslist ad says. Has this confirmed to be a manual transmission or does someone think the 1-5 and such means you have to manually shift it? I mean stranger things have happened? Just cause the ad says manual doesn't mean the owner knows what he is talking about. His other ad on the 98' truck says it has an 885cid engine. If its a 98 and it has a NHC250 then there some modifying going on.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm calling BS on almost all the info in the adds for both trucks, However they are OBO.
Be careful and take someone very knowledgable with M939's along if you go to look at it.

M925A2 with dump hoist

ralphluby

I do not believe that this truck is a true 1991 AM General, it might have been a rebuild. BMY had the contract from around mid 1989 to May 1993.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not believe that this truck is a true 1991 AM General, it might have been a rebuild. BMY had the contract from around mid 1989 to May 1993.
A couple of scenarios:

1) Original buyer put AM General on the EUC paperwork so that's what's on the title now
2) Current owner doesn't know what he's talking about and maybe owned a deuce at one time so thinks everything is made by AM General
3) Both 1 and 2

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks,I have 3 questions

Question 1)What Series is this 91 Am General 5 ton?

Question 2)Truck is a manual and Diesel and it runs has title but will go in Reverse but will not go forward any Idea?

Question 3)Is it worth $4,000 or not

SouthernSteel:
Since you're the OP of this thread, I will ask my questions directly to YOU.....

Is this a truck that you already own, or are you looking into purchasing it?
(Several here have speculated on this, but we'd like to hear the WHOLE STORY from you.)

If it's not yours, do the description & photo of the truck and its faults come from a printed or posted classified ad?

Have you, as of this posting, actually laid eyes on the truck or are we all grasping at straws here?

The more specific details you can share with us, the more accurate our assessment will likely be for you.

Thank you.

74M35A2

Threadjack: I've never heard of one with a manual either. I have had a few people saying yes there was in the early years of them, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks