• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to license my Deuce in MN. First time owner here. Need Assistance

DavisM38

I live in Minnesota. I bought a deuce from Wisconsin which seems to be easy going on titles and licenses for trucks. When I went into the local office to transfer the title and get tabs the ladies were all over me with all these questions... How much does it weigh, How much can it carry, How big is it... I find our local office hard to deal with, seems to me they want to get you to pay the maximum for everything.
I was told by one person that I could title it as a 5 ton and license it as a 2 and a half ton with something called a Y plate. I would like to hear a few more opinions from others before I attempt to deal with the DMV again. Any pointers would be appreciated. I am not going to the local office, I will be heading two hours out of town to a different office where the ladies actually seem to want to help the customers.
Thanks in advance for any and all help. No arguments needed. All opinions are just that, opinions, and I would like to hear all of them.

Triple C

Can't help you with Minnesota laws but I can tell you that when I bought my truck, I googled the regs for Mo. and was able to find that I could go with a historic plate. I am sure you will hear from some folk that live in Minnesota but I bet you can get the info on a state website as well. Good luck whatever you do.

roscoe

I can't help with your state, but I know how you feel as far as the dmv goes. They don't seem to be very helpful with anything that isn't run of the mill. After trying a number of offices over the years, I found one dmv office that I like and I stick with that one with all my business. What I did was just plate it at the trucks gvwr. It's a commercial plate, but I don't want any restrictions in how I use my truck. Here you can get a permanent historical MV registration #, but like I said, I don't want the restrictions as I use my truck as a truck.

DavisM38

I should add to this that we did check into the collector plates, the problem is that if you use the vehicle for anything other than driving to a car/truck show when using the collector plates then you can run into some serious problems in this state. :(

DavisM38

I understand that Warthog, but thats why we don't want to use the collector plate. We want to be able to use our truck. :driver:

We just want to make sure what we are doing is legal but that we are not being jacked with what we will be paying each year for tabs.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce and a half is a Yplate NON COMMERCIAL. It was a nightmare for me, the women at the Princeton MN registrar didn't know their butts from a hole in the ground. They plated it as a One Ton truck first, then I got a letter to return those plates, then St. Paul decided they needed to verify the VIN forcing me to drive about 50 miles after making an appointment a month in advance before they would title or register it. I'll only title and register my vehicles at the White Bear Lake, MN registrar now, recommended to me by another member here. Have never had a problem since. I recommend you do not register as classic, technically you can't drive the vehicle except to events ect with classic plates. If you have some land, you could register as farm vehicle (most of my 5 tons are registered as such) but there is a mileage from home limit for farm plates(think it's 150 mile radius). Any other questions just ask.
P.S. factor in the base weight of the vehicle+ whatever you intend or might haul with it for the weight sticker. I went with 21K for my M35A3, went way too low for my M932A2 the first time I hauled gravel! Luckily I didn't get stopped and weighed.

Last edited: