• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need to move a deuce. Recommendations wanted.

resistance32

i'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, but i am now the proud owner of a deuce and a half. FINALLY!. i bought this truck out in maryland, drove it around, loved it, and bought it. my only problem is that i have to get it to north central WV. its about 272 miles from my homestead. does anyone know how to get these things trailered. or who i should talk to about this. its north of b-more and has to make it west of clarksburg. anyone who may be able to help me out with names, or methods please get in contact. and yeah i originally planned on driving it the distance myself ,but have limited experience with these trucks.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi and welcome! Good on you to have it hauled, vs. trying to drive it. My suggestion is to place an add on U-Ship.com. There you can have truckers bid on the haul, and after a few weeks on there, you will know the best price for hauling.

It's always good to be as informative in placing info in the add. Include photos, weights, dimensions and a description of the load and unloading sites.

Good luck to you,

Rick

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Where north of Balto. is it ? I have a towing co.I use,they tow about 30 trucks a year for me.PM me for there #.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Crap, 272 miles, drive it if it is fully operational. I just drove one 1500 miles. I-95 to I-70 to I-68 to I-79. Driven that route before over to Fairmont and then down to Atlanta. Did the Pittsburgh to Morgantown to Martinsburg 2 years ago with one heck of a load on the truck and trailer.

Artisan

Get bids from all your local heavy / RV Tow truck Co's
or go do a pretrip inspection, or have it done, and drive
it home! If you break down you already have tele numbers
to all your local Heavy Tow co's...

Flyingvan911

If it's in great driving shape and owner can honestly say it's reliable on the road, I'd say drive it. If the history is uncertain I'd either have it hauled or have the numbers of some SS members along your route.

resistance32

thanks guys for the responses. yeah i was a bit shaky on taking the trip with me at the wheel. i didnt feel like i had enough time to get to know it. and i am a bit of a sceptic. any idea of a rough cost for something like this shipped? i plan on making some more calls tomorrow, and checking sites, just curious. thanks again all.

212sparky

Usually that distance $5.00 a mile would be a rough price point. Usually the farther away the better price you get. We ship cranes at work and pay around $4.00 up to 300 miles then it is around $2.75 a mile beyond that. We also ship one a week if not more so we get good prices from our broker.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
thanks guys for the responses. yeah i was a bit shaky on taking the trip with me at the wheel. i didnt feel like i had enough time to get to know it. and i am a bit of a sceptic. any idea of a rough cost for something like this shipped? i plan on making some more calls tomorrow, and checking sites, just curious. thanks again all.
Understood and Sidling Hill and Cheat Mountain are a bit threatening when you first look at it from behind a deuce wheel. I cut my teeth driving those hills with 1200 gallons of MOGAS on the back of a 5ton.

John Appel (jcappeljr) is who I would contact. I've worked with him before and he's been a good, honest person to deal with.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The deuce can be hauled by a dually pickup truck with at least a 25 foot gooseneck trailer. I've hauled a lot of them on ours.
Commercially these are called "Hotshot rigs" and usually cost less per mile than a Class 8 rig ot tow company.
If you go the Uship route you may get a call from some Hotshot truckers.
I think there is a website for Hotshot trucks but you may have to do a search to find it.
You might also find someone in your area with the same setup that will do the deal for you but you will prob have to pay deadhead mileage to go pick it up.
Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I applaud you for knowing your limits and not driving it. You might be able to find someone out there to drive it for you IF it is safe and completely operational.

resistance32

you guys all rule. thank you for the help with this. i think i found somebody already. i'm sure i will be back on here with a boatload of greenhorn questions, that you have all heard way too many times. steel soldiers is an excellent resource