• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need transmission help

wb1895

Hey guys, I need some help here.

I have searched, until I could search no more, looking for an exploded diagram of the deuce transmission.

I have a frozen gear in my tranny and I need to make sure I am dissembling it correctly.

Thanks, Walter

JDToumanian

The manual for deuce transmissions, transfer cases and PTOs is here on Steel Soldiers..... it's TM 9-2520-246-34-1

If you've got it already, sorry, but I think that's about as good as you're going to find.

Jon

wb1895

Second and third gear are fine. It is the gear between second and third that the syncro sits on. It is keyed onto the shaft and I somehow spun the key on the shaft.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
oh. you said you had a frozen gear. that is not a gear, it is a hub and 2nd / 3rd would not work if the keys were sheared. when you take it apart i would be interested in knowing if it had both keys installed. i cannot imagine how these keys could shear without something else in the trans causing it, such as being in 2 gears at the same time. you may just need a shaft and a hub.

tom

wb1895

Sorry for the confusion, I am NOT a mechanic or transmission guy. Right now my plan is to get a new shaft and hub and just reinstall the rest of the parts. I will take pictures of the old shaft and hub when/ if I can get it out.

I may have to try to split that hub with a die grinder and cold chisel to get the shaft out of the transmission. Any ideas on another way to do that are greatly appreciated.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the mainshaft will come out of the trans in the truck. you have to remove the rear flange, bearing holder and bearing. then it will come out leaving the 1st/rev gear in the trans. i think you should start over and say what your original issue was. what does the trans do? if the keys are sheared you will not have 2nd or 3rd gear.

tom

wb1895

Okay, here is the story. I was on my way to Fort Bragg to help a friend recover a M105. When I was about 10-15 miles from home second and third gear quit working. I could put the tranny in second or third gear and nothing would happen.

So, I went home and took the top of the tranny off. I manually put it in second gear, pushed in on the clutch and started the truck. I eased off of the clutch just enough for second and third gear to start spinning. While the actual gears were spinning the mainshaft was not. I could hear a VERY slight metallic grind when it was spinning.

So, I pulled the tranny from the truck, and began by removing the rear flange, bearing holder and the bearing. I removed all of the retaining clips holding the hub for fifth gear and second and third gear and attempted to remove the main shaft. The hub for second and third gear will not move off of the shaft, hence my problem.

I am always looking for more experienced people than I to assist with these type problems, so, Please feel free to give me a call 336-240-8168.

Walter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks