• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need - Various Electrical Plugs

warteetee

I have purchased several items from the Government Liquidation site lately and some of the items have very specific an unique electrical plugs which I have not been able to find anywhere. The two recent purchases are the large tent heater which has a 120v 20amp plug similar to a tractor trailer to the box connection and the most recent was the water sterlization unit which has a plug that looks llike a 20amp twist lock male portion buy is the diameter of a quarter.

When you all buy military items with unique connection plugs, do you have a place to order them to splice to normal wire or do you change the actual plug on the unit which I hate to do).

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peruse the saturn surplus site. They have quite a few. If you like digging around, Mendlesons Surplus in Dayton OH has a multi level warehouse full of that kind of stuff.

warteetee

Thanks for the reply. I was very hopeful with the Dayton site but appears they have very little Military wise at this time.

I checked the Saturn site but their pictures are so poorly taken (in my opinion) that I could not tell if anything would even be close. They show a plug and show the length in the poorly taken photo and not the plug design itself (in my opinion).

Wish they would take good pictures of their stuff for they have a ton of great items but show it terrible on the net - all again in my opinion.

135gmc

Also check with the Grainger Company - their web site is www.grainger.com, and you can click on the item and see a detailed view with dimensions. Also, if the connector has a threaded outer ring to screw the connector to the chassis connector, it is probably made by Amphenol, and they can be purchased from Newark and other electronics dealers. If you buy an Amphenol or similar connector, be sure that the rear shell (the cable clamp portion) comes with it. The rear shell is normally sold separately. If it looks almost like a NEMA plug, there is an old non-NEMA series that you can also find at Graingers. The connector contact "diameter" is also larger with a 480 VAC plug than it is with a 120 VAC plug

warteetee

You are dead on, it is the NEMA ML-2. I will be checking with the local supply shop to see if they carry, if not, I have seen several locations on the web to buy. Can't wait to see if this unit works.

deuceaid

Banned
:ditto: Grainger catalogs in the past have also had a page that has a pictorial description of each of the different types of plugs ( I always keep an old grainger book laying around), plus they work without electricity.

Mc Master Carr is another good one to find oddball stuff in order to fix/build things, and for electronics Digi Key cant be beat either ( they have a nice fat catalog too).2cents

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You are dead on, it is the NEMA ML-2. I will be checking with the local supply shop to see if they carry, if not, I have seen several locations on the web to buy. Can't wait to see if this unit works.

I think I have a couple of those.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks