• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need wisdom on genset perchase

army_nurse

I am thinking of perchasing a mep-003 to run a miller 875 auto plasma cutter and a compressor to make a self contained unit on a 101 trailer or somthing in that range. i spent 8 years in the military and never once did i have to deal with any gen sets. we had a 52d for that. the max amprage on the 875 auto is 62 amps however the rating unless im mistaken on the mep-003a is less than that at 220 volts. i am using a civy gen set now that makes less amps than the mep-003a and i can cut up to about 3/4 inch mild steel. it is my belief that the mep-003a is the best choice to keep the rig portable. I hope that someone with more eletrical knowledge will chime in and either set me on the right path or confirm my thoughts. any help you send my is great!!!! thanks in advance for the input.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-003 produces 102 amps at 100 percent power factor at 800 feet and 120 degrees F. Lower elevations and cooler temperatures, it will produce more. You can set it to produce all that output as 208 V (110 on each leg), so you would be looking at 51 Amps on each leg. Your 875 is probably pulling 62 Amps total, or 31 amps on each hot leg. 51 is bigger than 31. Of course, the generator weighs in at almost 1100 pounds by itself, so a 101 trailer does not leave you much wiggle room as far as weight is concerned.2cents

army_nurse

Thanks Mike might use a m105 trailer then. Next is to find one on GL or for sale close enough to home to go get. Have a m1061 I might consider a swap for a good Mep-003a. Just a thought.

Polycop

The Miller webpage says that 875 needs 42 amps of single phase 230.

The 003a puts out 52 amps of single phase 240 (230).

That said it "should" work..

Last edited by a moderator:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking of perchasing a mep-003 to run a miller 875 auto plasma cutter and a compressor to make a self contained unit on a 101 trailer or somthing in that range. i spent 8 years in the military and never once did i have to deal with any gen sets. we had a 52d for that. the max amprage on the 875 auto is 62 amps however the rating unless im mistaken on the mep-003a is less than that at 220 volts. i am using a civy gen set now that makes less amps than the mep-003a and i can cut up to about 3/4 inch mild steel. it is my belief that the mep-003a is the best choice to keep the rig portable. I hope that someone with more eletrical knowledge will chime in and either set me on the right path or confirm my thoughts. any help you send my is great!!!! thanks in advance for the input.
I don't think you'll have any problems running the Miller 875. However, you didn't mention the power requirements for the compressor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks