• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needed assistance with lmtv

Uberlandwerks

I just bought a LMTV a couple days ago and am currently driving it across country back home. 1200 miles everything went well. Then today the buzzer will not go off and I have transmission temp light on. It is currently -5* outside. I'm sleeping in the truck and don't want to turn it off for fear of it freezing. Any info would be great!
Thanks!

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might help to tell your location.
What is the oil level on transmission dip stick?
Does it feel or smell excessively hot? Or is it faulty sensor or wiring?

Katavic918

Just for clarity, I'm assuming the buzzer is an indicator for the fault light? If you let the trans cool and the fault does not go away I would lean towards a faulty sensor. Not sure if you would need to turn the truck off to reset the fault but I wouldn't want to risk anything at -5*. Good luck.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The buzzer typically comes 'on' if air pressure drops, so another logical question is "what is your air pressure showing on both dry tanks?". Are any leaks heard?

The trans temp light can come on without the buzzer because my truck has done it. In my case the unfounded transmission overtemp light was due to a loose lower plug on the back of the transmission ECU (inside the dash behind the gear shift buttons). That location applies only to older trucks so you should tell us the year of your truck.

The temp light will go off without having to be reset by cycling power. The transmission is not too hot if you can hold your hand on it for a short time.

Are there transmission codes if you press the up and down buttons together? You will see a series of fault locations, d1 and upward, followed by either 2 pairs of numbers, or two pairs of zeros. Report those and we can look them up.

Uberlandwerks

I have a 1994 Stewart Stevenson, LMTV 1078.
I went through Sioux Falls SD last night and the buzzer stared going off about 20miles west. I drove to Mitchell SD. Both brakes functions and have 100psi. I assumed the buzzer had a switch that was freezing up so I stoped the truck drained the air tanks and installed about 1/2 quart of brake line antifreeze. After starting the truck back up. The tanks pressurized up but the alarm was still going. Assuming it would take hot min to get the antifreeze working I let it idale. After about 5min the tranny temp gauge came on. In fear of the truck not restarting I let it idle through the night. All the fluids are in check and do not have any burnt smells. I finally took off the dash this morning and disconnect the buzzer. I am going to check for transmission codes now.

sandcobra164

I just researched this briefly so it may not apply to your truck. If I read correctly, you should be getting a second code after the 13. Either way, it appears to be concerned with input voltage to the trans controller being too high or too low depending on the follow on code. Go to this link and verify. http://www.wellertruck.com/pdf/tsupp/allison/fourthgenshift selector manual.pdf Good luck on the rest of your trip and let us know when you're home safely.

sandcobra164

I'm not as familiar with the earlier LMTV's but that is the warning light for engine temperature high on the later ones. Your gauge indicates less than 220 so you should be good to drive on. To the best of my recollection, you have a sensor for the gauge and a sensor for the warning monitor.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Where in montana are you going to? I have people all over that state with trailers and equipment. I don't know anyone in mitchell, sd. I assume your planned route is to Lead, SD. And up hwy 212?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You should build air to 125psi so if you are only building to 100 that may be why the buzzer is staying on. The air governor is mounted on the compressor I would turn it up a tad. If the air dryer is clogged up you could see low pressure like that.

Uberlandwerks

Headed to Billings Mt. Through Rapid City. I'm hoping the weather clears here it's currently -20 with wind chill. I'll check the air governor as well tomorrow. Is it just a regulator type? Anything special I should look for?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck has been running for 3 days almost straight. Any adverse affects besides the one to my pocket book?
Idling is somewhat hard on them, but under the current circumstances I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Start up, and initial warm up is where most of the wear occurs. Extended periods of use are better for it than multiple shorter periods : one 20 hour run is better than twenty 1 hour runs with shut off between them.

Again, idling the truck is clearly the best course of action in your current situation. Freezing to death isn't an option. The odds of damage from idling are miniscule.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks