• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needed assistance with lmtv

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not familiar with the LMTV platform.

That being said, here's what I'd do -

1) air pressure at 100psi. You didn't mention if it was at 100psi for the previous 1200 miles. If so, leave it alone. While it's an easy adjustment, it's better done in your driveway when you get there.100psi is adequate, if suboptimal.

If it's been running 120psi and suddenly dropped to 100psi, then you need to resolve that before proceeding.

2) transmission temp. Do you have a temp guage in addition to the light? If you do, and the guage is showing proper temp and the light continues to illuminate, curse the light as a lying POS and drive...

3) if the truck isn't drivable and can't be made driveable where it is, start making arrangements to get it trailered to your destination. Hole up in a motel room and yell for help. The cost of the motel room won't be too much different than the cost of the fuel running the truck continuously.

You can probably find a better solution than this, but here's a worst case option : I've got a 1ton pickup and a 22,500 GVWR 20+5' gooseneck with equipment ramps. An M1078 should fit on it (we need to check the length of the M1078 to be sure). I'm willing to come get you and trailer your lmtv to destination. I'll do it for actual costs incurred (fuel, food, motel rooms, etc). The thing is, I can't get to you in SD until late Tuesday. I'd like to offer to do it free, but the truth of the matter is I don't have the $$ to cover the trip.

I've been in your position. Next spring this will all look like an adventure...

(Adventure - some poor ***** in a **** of a jam a long way away.)

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried searching for a diesel shop near you? You could have them get it in, thaw it out and give it a quick once over and be on your way, likely cheaper than getting it hauled or waiting winter out, OR motor on as is...

snowtrac nome

you have a hand throttle on the truck bump it up to around 1000 rpm , rather than an idle, the engine will burn better, and also make more heat for your heater. As far as the buzzer low air shouldn't come on until 60 psi so a hundred should be fine. The governed pressure should be 125 and once the buzzer comes on I have seen a few that takes 75 psi to shut back off. I believe your truck may have a warning module that takes and causes a beep with all the warning lights, I have seen some commercial stuff that way. does the transmission and brakes work ok, if so you may have a false warning from a bad sensor my guess would be in the air system from ice. these things did a lot of sitting and the tanks when warm need to be drained regularly. You should be able to locate the buzzer and disconnect it,mine is already disconnected. I will have to enable it again to meet dot standard's . shutting the lights and buzzer off may be as easy as pulling a circuit breaker to.

162tcat

Two questions,
1: Where is the hand throttle?
2: Do these trucks have horns?

Based on the issues your having and this question, I'm going to say it's probably best for you to get it towed home. Then you'll have time to have it fixed or fix it yourself as well as learn about the proper maintenance and operation of your new rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmetalmiki

Based on the issues your having and this question, I'm going to say it's probably best for you to get it towed home. Then you'll have time to have it fixed or fix it yourself as well as learn about the proper maintenance and operation of your new rig.

That's more than..'polite' and a definite DO..there's brave..and there's..
But the very best to you in your efforts..and keep us informed of progress ok.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just bought a LMTV a couple days ago and am currently driving it across country back home. 1200 miles everything went well. Then today the buzzer will not go off and I have transmission temp light on. It is currently -5* outside. I'm sleeping in the truck and don't want to turn it off for fear of it freezing. Any info would be great!
Thanks!
Did SS help or are you gone?

wcuhillbilly

Hmmm no reply in a few days,,,,, I ran that section of I-90 from Sundance Wyo to Spearfish SD yesterday and all I seen was a deuce on a trailer rollin westbound. Wish I had been around I could have intercepted him and helped out,,,, but I was sitting in a chair sipping Rum in Roatan.......

Uberlandwerks

Update.... Just wanted to thank everyone on here. I did make it home. I was Snowed in for a day and ended up letting the truck idle. I left the the first clear day I had. I checked all fluids and levels, hand checked temp of tranny and all checked good for take off. As soon as I got on the interstate and running all the lights and buzzers went off, everything went back to normal. Made it back to Billings and have it inside and have been tinkering with it. Haven't had any issues with it since. AGAIN! I CANT THANK EVERYONE ENOUGH!
Thank you all, Merry Christmas!

Jericho

Glad it all worked out, It will be a story to be told for years from now" Gramp, tell us again about the time you were stranded in the blizzard and had to eat a bear that you killed with a boyscout knife and ____________" .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks