• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needle gun/Scaling gun

Ray70

I too have extensively used the cheap H.F needle scaler as well as about 3 sets of replacement needles to date and it has held up pretty well, for a cheap tool made in who knows where. They work well on flakey paint and rust but like RedBeard said, it's best to get the heavy off with the needle scaler then procede to blast the remaining paint and rust. If you have heavily rusted metal where it actually starts looking like layers of cardboard peeling apart, an air chisel with a blunt tipped chisel works great to knock the "delaminating looking" sheets of scale off in big chunks, then follow up with the needle scaler, then mediablast. The air chisel hits with way more force and it literally vibrates the scale off in sheets, just don't use it on anything thin enough to get dented or punctured.
Ray.

MarcusOReallyus

The air chisel hits with way more force and it literally vibrates the scale off in sheets, just don't use it on anything thin enough to get dented or punctured.
Ray.
I used an air chisel for the first time recently. Just a cheap Campbell-Hausfeld job that came in a kit with some other tools, so you know it wasn't very high-end. I was amazed at how it knocked the rust off. I was trying to get some badly rusted exhaust clamps off to replace a muffler. By the time I got the first clamp cleaned up, the second one was already halfway there just from the vibration. Turned out the nuts were too rusted away to talk to a socket. By the time the rust was gone, I had rounded lumps. So I used the chisel to cut the clamps. Almost like slicing butter. :)

Just for fun, I played with the chisel on the old muffler's body. It was almost like cutting paper with scissors.

If you've got a compressor, get a chisel!

infidel got me

I never knew what a needle scaler was,but after reading a few of the posts on here it seems a lot of people swear by them.so im off to h.freight.i spent 6 hours sanding-grinding on my bumpers removing 1/4 inch paint yeah.i hate sandblasters no matter how you protect yourself you are always finding sand on yourself 2 days latter lol.well im going to give it a try,anything has to be better than the old blaster of sand

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks