• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

needle scaler

wdbtchr

I bought an Ingersol Rand Model 182 needle scaler about 10 years ago with an extra set of needles. Still using the original needles. It came with a curved chisel that I use about as much as the the needles. Cuts through metal like a knife through hot butter, also used it to break concrete when I ran new sewer for the new septic tank. Thought it was quite expensive at the time but it's more than paid for itself in time and labor.

Rattlehead

I am considering one of these soon, and see that they make pistol grip style as well as straight. Just wondered of others' opinions of each? The straight ones seem they could be too long to get into some areas.

Also, are the needles free to bounce around somewhat independant of each other, for working on irregular shaped surfaces? It seems that they are really just an air hammer with a bunch of trapped needles for an end, wonder if they make an attachment for an air hammer, since I have ended up with 3 of them.

underdog

I agree with Ferroequinologist
I was under a pump on DDG-34
Went right thru the side. Thats when i learned how disposable a destroyer really is.
Got to watch the divers do there underwater welding thing for about a half a day.

MILRET45

1970, Naval Station San Diego and I was dumb enough to volunteer to stay on board DD-746 until the decommissioning was complete. As a Radioman it wasn't too bad at first off-loading the crypto gear and mothballing the gear that was to stay on board. Little did I realize the hell that was coming.

The crew was whittled down until it all ended with a small cadre in the engine room with who knows how many of these devilish tools going. The air down in the bowels of the ship was thick with a fog of pulverized rust and lead based paint. Protective gear...I had a rag I tied bandana-style over my nose and and mouth.

These days I have an uncontollable urge to chew on toys from China.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Needle Guns work great

Here is a shot of my M52 after extensive needle gunning. It did a great job in getting at flaked rust and the needles all are independant so they go into uneven surfaces just fine as long as the contour is not too great as the needles only bounce about 3/4 of an inch.

Attachments

littlebob

RE: Needle Guns work great

Also, are the needles free to bounce around somewhat independant of each other, for working on irregular shaped surfaces? It seems that they are really just an air hammer with a bunch of trapped needles for an end, wonder if they make an attachment for an air hammer, since I have ended up with 3 of them.
I remember seeing one(to work with an air hammer)at harbor freight or somewhere,
but that was back in March when I was looking for one, my memory doesn't serve me well any more
littlebob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks