• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Negative bolt on starter snapped

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was on the final bolt of the ground kit and so excited to be finishing and was going to tighten the bolt and before it even got tight it just broke off. Is there anything I can do at this point or do I need to buy a new starter? Its just a real bummer to come so close to finishing for the day and then to have this happen was a real crappy way to start the weekend.

papakb

Just change the termination ring lug and attach it to one of the 10mm starter bolts. That or see if a local welding shop can tack weld another bolt to the body of the starter.

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do I attach the two wire that where attached there prior to the grounding kit wire as well? I can go borrow a welder does that bolt just ground to the casing in which case just weld it somewhere on the casing?

Thank You

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was this one in the centre of the picture with the three wires going to it. I found someone who said they may be able to weld a bolt on but is there any way to get the car started until then?

Casasenita

The same thing happened to me. I ended up drilling, tapping and putting in a new bolt. It worked great, but be gentle with the drilling. You don’t want to go too deep.

For everyone putting on a harness, make sure you use silicone or something similar to protect this area from corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright so I purchased a drill and tap as recommended and drilled the whole off and sprayed it down before using the tap then began tapping it and at the very end the tap snapped off so now it blocking the whole. I then noticed about an inch over there was another small hole so stripped the surround down to bare metal and used the drill and tap successfully on this whole and put the large and small cables that were there, to begin with along with the ground kit wire on a bolt and screwed it in on this whole. Well, unfortunately, it is still not starting now, so does this not work for some reason, do I need to drill out that tap and use the original hole? I was under the impression this was just grounding the casing so thought using that other hole would have grounded out just the same? Please let me know any advice, really new to all this so not 100 percent sure doing anything right. I just know it started prior to this and now it's not starting so obviously something is still wrong and really don't want to have to buy a new starter.

I have attached pictures not sure if did it correctly but one showing the center spot where it uses to go but is now blocked and the other showing the spot I tapped out and put them. Also, if drill long enough sure I can clear out that original spot but if it's just grounding to housing don't see why other spots wouldn't work. Appreciate any help and I admit now I am not that smart with cars since this is first one so if doing something silly please tell me.
Thank You

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is impossible to drill out a tap. Where is the big ground cable coming from the batteries? Don't drill into the cylindrical part of the starter, if you penetrate the housing, the starter will be ruined.

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also included color arrows, the red is the original hole that the tap broke in, The yellow area was spot were there was already a small hole and just drilled it tad bit wider to then use a 1/4 tap and was able to create small bit of threads to then connect the two original wires, the tiny one marked by the green arrow, and the large one with the blue arrow. I also added the grounding kit wire which is pointed to with the purple arrow. Also, as I mentioned cleaned it to bare metal before putting this bolt in. Also, this little hole was already there and basically just threaded it so don't believe I penetrated the housing. Also, like i metioned prior to all this the vehicle started just fine, and all I did was undo these cable to then add this new grounding kit wire which has then lead to vehicle not starting. Also, I just looked under the car and that large grounding cable that is pointed to with the blue arrow go to the frame. I just don't understand how it started just fine prior to this and now it won't start. All I did was install the battery cutoff switch and the Kascar 535-A1 Ground Kit, 4 Wire, A, B, C, D. Is there something else from this install that could be effecting it from starting? I just assumed it was this bolt that broke that was causing it not to start, also is there way can check and make sure the housing is correctly grounding from this new spot I am using? Just really dont know what is causing the problem and appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank You

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell us about this battery cutoff switch you installed. Is it on or off? In which wire?

Casasenita

The starter looks to be grounded now. I would also lean towards the cutoff switch.

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased the cutoff switch and when its off there is no power at all to the vehicle and won't even begin starting. Then when turn the cutoff switch to on it then gets power and the engine starts trying to start making that cranking noise but just never turns over and actually starts. So I doubt the cutoff switch would be the problem. The truck is making the cranking noise it just won't actually turn over which is what made me think it was the starter. I have attached the pictures of the battery area and the directions I followed for the battery cutoff, also attached the directions for the ground kit as well so can see exactly what I did and what may be causing this issue.

Attachments

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, the guy I purchased this from said it occasionally had trouble starting and had to use a squirt of ether to get it started. When I first got it last week was able to get it started without much trouble and drove it for couple days but then its gotten a lot colder here recently and then I did these modifications here yesterday. Could it be that this isn't related to the grounding kit and the starter at all and may just be the glow plugs are needing to be replaced now and that whats causing it not to turn over?

FFesco

I snapped the same bolt on my starter, I welded it back together and it works fine.

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to include every detail I can think of, also on that hole I tapped out since the original hole is blocked by the tap, I used a Hex Head-Class 10.9 bolt to hold the three wires. Also, if there chance this is the problem will go borrow a welder and weld the original bolt back on the original spot but being it was just ground for the casing I would think this other spot should be working just the same. Also, another comment tried to use ether to start it up but even with squirt of ether it still dosent turn over .

[h=1]Thank You[/h]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ether will not make it "turn over".

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solved: I got my wife to come spray a shot of ether as I was starting it and it finally turned over. So the hole I created on starter and all was not an issue and it seems the glow plugs just need to be changed out at this point.

Thank You everyone for all your help!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks