• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Negitive ground or positive ground

greg2560

Is the duce a postive ground system or a Negitive ground. Mine is hooked up positive ground. And the guy said that the gen was bad. Humm

greg2560

the truck has a 60 amp gen. Said that the first gen was bad charged wideopen. so put good one on. And told me had short in wireing that i needed to fix. he had the batts hooked up + ground ..Just got the truck this weekend and trying to get it all working. lol it starts hooked up positive ground. I am new to the duce

Every deuce I ever worked on or had was NEGATIVE GROUND. The only positive ground trucks I had were old school Mack, Brockway, trucks and early Diamond T . And they were all civilian trucks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The only positive ground trucks I had were old school Mack, Brockway, trucks and early Diamond T . And they were all civilian trucks.
I had a Freightliner once that was positive ground.....a frigging beotch to put a CB radio in.

Sounds like he was the "shade tree mechanic" from ell.:roll:

I would address that situation immediatly.

3rdmdqm

You got a picture? Are you referring the fact that the batteries run in series and one of the negative cables from one battery goes to the positive terminal of the second battery? Or are you referring to the fact that the positive cable (red) that goes to the starter etc. is benig used as the ground and they are using the negative (black) cable that normally bolts to the frame as the positive?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year is it I bid on a studebaker at fort McCoy a couple years ago that was positive ground . They blew the batteries slaving off it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you buy FuzzyToasters truck?

Heavysteven

This could turn out to be a shocking thread:(.

Seriously though negative to ground, batteries are in series, and your alternator should be adjusted so the needle is on the white mark in the green area.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the duce a postive ground system or a Negitive ground. Mine is hooked up positive ground. And the guy said that the gen was bad. Humm
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the Deuce - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (Deuce Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the Deuce Forum. All of the Deuce Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

Make sure you download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

Make sure you download the Deuce Wiring Diagram

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times.

The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-209-10-1 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:
Voltmeter and know how to use it - ~$10 and up
12v Battery Charger - ~$50 for a decent one
Battery Load Tester - ~$30 for an okay one at Harbor Freight

Attachments

greg2560

Same area. Very possible

From Fuzzy's post on another thread

Shiner is 10 miles from Yoakum

yup FuzzyToasters truck drove it home last weekend. about 100 mi made it half way then clutch went to slipping up hills. Tranny front seal i guess went to leaking. some 90w on back axels and 90w on the bellhouseing hole on the bottom of the bellhouseing. Have not had time to check out yet. So far pretty good truck working on charging sys now.

greg2560

the deuce wiring diagram does not say neg or pos ground and the way the diagram is. the batt layout is wrong. they have it drawn a positive to positive and neg to ground and neg to the truck solenoid :). done look at that the other day.
But thanks for the help

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Drain 12oz out of the trans, remove the clutch inspection plate, and spray some brake cleaner up there. Should be good to go.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gee, wonder why the alternators didn't work. And yes to it being a negative ground system. I believe the starter does not care which way it gets voltage, or the lighting for that matter.

Bet if you hook the batteries up negative ground, and repair the wiring, a good alternator will charge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks