• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nellis AFB M1009 Recovery

Incredilion

On Tuesday; I'll be leaving for Nellis from Coeur d'Alene, ID to pick up my #2 M1009. Won it in the beginning of December, EUC just came through.
I want to drive it home, so I hired a small company to go & get it from Nellis for me yesterday. They inspected it; I had them puere's what we found, so far:
Engine starts & runs GREAT. Trans shifts good, has a bit of bondo on the drivers side & the front passenger QP is dented into the door enugh to stop the door from opening more than a few inches.
I'm having them change ALL of the fluids, and I had them look at the brakes. Good thing; too. The brakes are wiped out; they sat for too long & basically disintegrated (probably from drying so totally in the Nevada sun). It's getting new brakes on front & rear now.
I'm STOKED about this.
The one I won I paid about $3900 for, after taxes & Buyers Premi000 miles, and the guy who's working on it for me says he thinks it's true.
We'll find out, looking forward to the adventure! Southwest Airlines here I come!

Yeah that EUC deal For trucks and blazers seems like a total waste of tax payer money. 60 days to get cleared for a truck I could buy off the street, I can buy a pistol in 5 minutes cause it takes 4 minutes to fill out the gun form.
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
How many miles on yours? Did it have a bent drive shaft?

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Incredilion, What company did you have get, look and change the all of the fluids in your M1009?
I was just at Nellis on Thursday looking at some M35a3's.

Good luck on your trip!!!!.:driver:

Incredilion

M35-
I had a company do it that I found on Craigslist; they're actually pretty good; there's two guys I worked with, Omar & david. Number is 702-433-5005.
All fluids changed except trans & new brakes front & rear just under $800.00. Normally, I'd want to do this myself & save the money; put in syntetic etc; but to be honest I don't want to try to do it in somebody's parking lot, aside from not wanting to try to get the tools through security at the airport.
Tuesday's only two days away....

greg burns

Incredilion:

It would be nice to hear if you are satisfied with the work they did for you after you get the chance to see and drive your new purchase. It would be nice to have someone reliable in that area to pick-up and service vehicles.

Thanks.

Incredilion

I'll shoot you guys an email on my experience with them. They are the second company I am dealing with there; the first one failed, miserably. Sent the guy out to Nellis to inspect; and TOLD HIM that the batts were 24VDC, and to MAKE SURE he would be able to jump them (2 batterys, 2 sets of cables from a civy rig). He goes out and tells me; "Oh, I forgot that this is 24V". Then, I try to have him recover the rig & do the oil changes etc, and he blows the appointment with Gov Liquidators. Me unhappy.

These guys, on the other hand, have been great thusfar. $45.00 to recover the truck from Nellis to their place & then the other charges for what I think is a decent amount of work.

Meanwhile, having a hard time with CUCV 1.
We replaced the glowplugs, installed new front main seal, timing chan & gears, injector pump gears, left (both side) wheel seals. Now, the truck turns over VERRRYYY slowly, and we don;t know why. replaced batteries, checked grounds, did everything. (YES it has the Doghead Relay).
Makin me a little nuts......any ideas?

McCluskey

I was recently in Vegas for the SHOT show and went on base to check out all the CUCVs they had on Gov Liq. (They have A LOT!!) they had some nice looking stuff there. Congratz on your '09, you'll have a lot of fun with it. Just make sure you get your bad rust spots taken care of before your next snow.

Incredilion

Recovery Successful

Drove my new M1009 1167 hellish long miles overnight through sleet, freezing rain & fog home from Nellis/Vegas last night. LONG trip, Salt Lake City has BAD roads and even WORSE fog late at night.
David & Omar did a great job on my rig, their prices were fair, they held to what they quoted, and did what was expected. The only issue I had with the truck was the headlight mounts were broken & they were aimed about 8 feet in front of the truck. I stuck small batteries under the mounts & got them out to about 25 -30 feet. They still sucked, but did the job.

My 1009 got 16.7 MPG on the first tank (a lot of old diesel) & steadily improved to about 20 MPG. The truck DOES have about 37,000 miles on it, (not 137) and it's obvious. Windows seal, everything works.....I'm a happy camper. Had 2 jack handles, a jack, spare tire, mount, all there. Somebody did a WAY poor body repair job with bondo on the drivers side, (gotta fix that), and theres a couple of dents on the passenger side, nothing major. Drove straight; wipers quit working a couple of times, I don't know why.
All in all; I've already got about 5K in this one, and I don't care. It's a really nice truck, all of it's life is still in it. I'll civy out the interior (soundproofing, stereo etc) and then drive it for my company; Revolutionary Realty.
We're installing signs on the doors that are white stencil; that say "Revolutionary" in big letters, and "Realty" in little letters at the end. Underneath, a star, and underneath that, out phone number; 208-667-1776.
Our license plates are Idaho "Veterans" plates, (yes had to supply my DD 214) and they're cool; the Army Logo on the right, and the actual numbers are Q1776 for M1009 #1 & 1776Q for Vehicle #2. I cannot WAIT to look at people's faces in parking lots (Costco etc) when they walk out & see the "Revolutionary" on the Army trucks.....they'll either be scared that I'm a real nutcase or MUCH more likely, give me a big "Cool!"

The final touch:
"FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY"
These two rigs will be in our 4th of July parade this year; the front one loaded with Iraq Vets; the second one loaded with Afghanistan Vets.
GOD BLESS AMERICA

Last edited:

Incredilion

Me too.
19 hours @ an average of 61.42 MPH. I'm amazed it was that fast. The pass going from Idaho into Montana was freezing rain on top of hardpack snow, the roads south of SLC (Provo area) are all under construction, and the Great Salt Lake had fog you could eat.

But I likes my CUCV......(No 2 that is!)

McCluskey

Had 2 jack handles
Two you say? Care to sell one to a fellow member in need? :D

Sounds like you had a fun trip. I did a similar route to yours on New Years Eve, picking mine up from Denver and driving back to LA. Fun, helling, long trip. Well worth it in the end.

Have fun with her!

cdnm1009

I am having Omar pick up my new 09 from Nellis on Tuesday, I cant wait for the road trip. Driving her to Victoria, BC (just north of WA state). Thank you so much Incredilion for a very useful post. I will be very happy to be one of the few to have one in the Great White North :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks