• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nellis M35A3 recovery,sorta

shootiniron

Well,it started about 3:30am on Thursday.Got to Nellis and then to the GL lot at my appt. time of 8:00am.Went right to work on it.The truck was listed as "wont start" and from an earlier visit I determined its prolly the batts as they were stone dead.
So thats where I started,changed them out then checked the fluids and hit the starter.It kinda farted then fell.It was turning over fine just no smoke so no fuel.I started the "tank to injector" thing.Mean while the ambient temp is now about 105 F and you cant just lay your wrench down and expect to pick it right up again.
After a couple hours of this with intermittent water and shade breaks,and a fuel filter change I had the fuel as far as the fitting on the head side of the fuel filter.I had already put 15 gal. of diesel in it as well as checked and cleaned the check valve at the tank.
At this point,about 1:00 pm its a smokin 115 degrees and I'm about done.Mik (Aibornebandsman) came by and slaved the truck with his as the batts were getting hot and tired as well.We both screwed around with it some more but still no fuel to the injectors.I knew we were on the right track as the truck appeared to nice and to low of milage and hours to have had some catastrophic mechanical failure to result in a "Wont start" condition.
At around 2:30 pm or so Mik had to get back to work and I was spent so we hooked his deuce to mine via his tow bar and drug it off Chris's lot and abandoned the rescue till later.Chris at the Nellis GL lot is one AOK guy in my book.He was very accomodating in letting me wrench on the turd for most of the day instead of insisting that I remove and repair elsewhere.
After Mik got off work around 5:30 or 6:00 pm we met at his house then drove over to the trucks and prepared to disembark for a diesel shop accross the 15 and South just a bit.We got to the shop(Williams Truck) around 7:00 pm and they got the truck in a bay a bit later.I gave them a detailed description of our labors and a synopsis of what I thought the trouble was.The mechanic (Esty is his name),young guy and very ambitious and knowlegable(rare combination these days),suggested that the first step would be to pressure feed fuel into the head to the injectors via the fitting at the back of the head where I had got the fuel to earlier before I ran out of steam.He accomplished this by using an empty R134 cannister filled with diesel and pressurized with air,plumbed into that fitting.As soon as he did that he waited a second or two then climbed into the seat and hit the starter.It fired right up!.Next he dissconnected the cannister and re-connected the fuel line and let the truck run on its own.[thumbzup]Victory at last!
I was almost there back at the lot.The truck just lost its prime.Runs like a champ.Esty and I took it for a drive and it truely drives like its only got 2900 miles on it.Up shifts and down shifts smooth as can be,lots of get up and go and stops great and all the lights work.As a matter of fact the only thing that does'nt work on it is the CTIS ,wont power up:(Will have to look into this soon.All the fluids looked recently changed and smelled the way you would hope.Its last indicated service was June 09.Very happy at this point.
This whole thing could'nt have turned out with a happy ending without the help and presence of Mik(Airbornebandsman) and also his wife.Two great folks that dropped what they were doing to come to the rescue.I truely feel indebted to them both for thier efforts and hospitality.THANKS GUYS !!
Now the ending.The truck is still at the shop and will remain there till next Friday when I can get back to get it,Jimmy at Williams Truck made that happen.This shop is not only a full engine reapair facility but also a licensed Allison repair and replacement shop as well,great bunch of guys.
Here's just a couple pics,hopefully I'll take more next week when finnishing this "recovery".

:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Cool, nice looking truck! glad you got it straightened out.

When you go to drive it back are you going to have the IV inserted in your arm before or after you leave Vegas? :p

I'll be back in Vegas around the first of Aug.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great story from ALWAYS exciting--- NELLIS! (happy ending too!)

Liked that R134 cannister trick, wonder if you could elaborate on that device? Photo maybe? And I agree--- Cris is a VERY accomodating guy--- awesome!

:beer:And Sgt Mic--- even awesome-er!!!!!!:beer:

Many happy returns!

Shootiniron, it was nice meeting you and we are glad we could help. Glad it was something minor that was wrong and that they got it running. Let us know how your trip driving to Utah turns out.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
shootiniron, Nice job and nice looking truck. It was hot last week at Nellis also, but not 115.
Glad you got her going.

airbornebandsman, It was great for you to help out. :beer:

deathrowdave

Very Sad , need to make the best of each moment , it could be taken anytime . Enjoy this wonderful country . RIP Brother ( Take a monent for the 23rd Psalm )

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear the news!!! I sent him a PM asking him if he needed help picking up the Trunk on Friday. I was in Vegas on Vac.
Will miss him!!! RIP:cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks