• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neutral tow????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattwspeed

Yes I try to understand as much as possible which is why I ask questions even though I fear the reply's! I try and build cool trucks to show and increase affection for the hobby. LAZY??? I'm a FULL time single father with 2 kids active in sports, have a full time job, work out every am, fix dinner clean and cook and also managed to build 3 crewcab trucks almost single handed in 1 year... Lazy I am not sir... And if that's tooting my own horn... Then toot toot!!!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why worry about any reply you might get?

Its just words on a dumb interweb site. We have all had to find answers one way or another.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes I try to understand as much as possible which is why I ask questions even though I fear the reply's! I try and build cool trucks to show and increase affection for the hobby. LAZY??? I'm a FULL time single father with 2 kids active in sports, have a full time job, work out every am, fix dinner clean and cook and also managed to build 3 crewcab trucks almost single handed in 1 year... Lazy I am not sir... And if that's tooting my own horn... Then toot toot!!!!

So you do not think it is worth the time to READ the -10 (OPERATORS MANUAL), the -10 was written for a reason, by NOT knowing what is in the -10 could result in TWO fatherless kids,

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I said we caged the brakes on the 915 I had read the -10 and we still called Doghead since we were on I70 near Springfield with a brake dragging. It didn't help because the military had adjusted the brakes so far even caging didn't help.

IT happens even with the manual but things go better if you read some of them first. PDFs are a pain even with Ctrl-F. If you need a tow I can always bring the Winged Dodge 1500 down and tow it for you. (Now that will get them started....)

61sleepercab

Do you get gold stars on some web site chart by blasting someone who has a question when you assume the the TMs are user friendly, easy to follow, and the only right way to solve a certain issue or question? As an attorney, I have seen formal writing as an art form and in my opinion the Tms are written by some one paid by the word who has never crawled in the snow and mud to fix or repair anything. Experience and been there done knowledge shared to a newbie is not a bad thing!

I always give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has a reasonable question and assume that they have not got the answer from their prior search effort.
I respect old timers and those more experienced in an area of mechanics that I have and try to learn from them. I personally believe that piling on with "you are a stupid leach on society" attitude is not really positive for our hobby and love of saving old iron.
I hope that we are a positive sharing web site helpful to old and young alike. Thanks Mark
PS I have thick hide and can take constructive advice or ribbing.

61sleepercab

Caging Bolts??

Have fun trying to get caging bolts from a local parts store,NAPA, Advanced Auto etc. Caging what???is what you get.

Who has civilian parts numbers and sources for the caging bolts?

Mark

mattwspeed

Got the help i needed and was going to forget about this post but.....Just had a young man who is currently deployed PM me because he saw this thread... He has been a member of SS for 4 years and has had less than 10 post in that time frame due to folks harsh answers on simple questions. I brag on this site on a regular basis because of the extreme knowledge that can be found here by mostly a great group of people! It's a tragedy that he is probably not alone! I would be the same way if I would not have met many of these helpful people in person at SS events. I know to expect a certain amount of flak but sometimes I let it get the better of me, sorry bout that! I appreciate all the help guys! I read the TM's and they are a huge help! I just think there is a little more benefit to hearing an old war story from a man who was there then reading it off a page! I will continue to praise the newbies like myself and help when I can... I'm done with this thread now I promise LOL... The LOL is for the YouTube generation of green steel lovers...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you cage brakes remember......once caged the vehicle/trailer HAS NO BRAKES, none, nada. I once caged the brakes on a loaded commercial trailer loaded with 55 gallon drums of really bad stuff. I had to get to the repair shop and I got off the interstate and at the first intersection I tried to stop for a quick red light and ended up in the middle of the intersection. The tractor brakes are inadequate for stopping a loaded rig. You will also have no parking brakes. I watched a guy drop a caged trailer and it rolled down a hill and almost hit a fence......a railroad tie stopped it in time. If you cage the brakes on a vehicle you are towing make sure the vehicle you are towing with will stop it.

SLOrazorsedge

You can buy caging bolts at any truck stop that has a retail store or online thru Ryder Truck.com. Do yourself a favor and keep a half dozen in your "recovery kit." Only the rear brake pots "cage", the front brakes will not cage. A "caging socket" is also helpful which is an extra long deep socket made specific to that purpose or the new fangled Sears ratchet that permits the stud to extend thru the center in lieu of deep socket. If you plan to air up the towed vehicle and activate the brakes, you'll need at a minimum 1) 10' emergency glad hand air line; 2) 10' service glad hand air line; 3) two Grade 7 minimum safety chains; 4) Hunter medium tow bar w/ correct feet; 5) temporary plug compatible magnetic base stop, tail, turn lights. Best of luck, towing a MV any distance is no minor task and responsibility...

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cage brakes remember......once caged the vehicle/trailer HAS NO BRAKES, none, nada...
I think it depends on the setup - I haven't come across air brakes that I have caged where the caging disabled the service side of the brake. Although my experience is only with several military trailers and trucks, no commercial equipment.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have driven an M923 with the brakes caged.

It still had operational service brakes.

I have tow-bared an M923 with it's brakes caged.

It still had operational service brakes. I used air lines to control them with the towing vehicle.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Also if you are going to use a wrecker you can lift the rear and lock the steering. Always put the transfer case in neutral release the parking brake. If you can use air on the towed truck do so and as others have said read the -10 not harping here but there are tricks you can find to help when you need to move disabled trucks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have fun trying to get caging bolts from a local parts store,NAPA, Advanced Auto etc. Caging what???is what you get.

Who has civilian parts numbers and sources for the caging bolts?

Mark

midland/haldex rt1 is the caging bolt. Not difficult to find at Napa or hd store. Advance /autozone are not hd stores.
http://www.haldex.com/en/North-Amer...eal-and-Life-Seal-Replacement-Parts-/3427/RT1

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...Brake-Chamber-Dust-Boot/_/R-MBIRT1_0215349089

emr

If your f 650 has air all you do is hook up the glad handles and go, My 925 has been towed thru NYC with an F 650 for a movie shoot , it was the camera truck, i would not brake 40 mph anywhere though, with all those whhels behind you. Yiou do not have to cage the brakes, this is covered so many times,

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"The military uses Technical Manuals, not youtube" Amen to that.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I was a training superintendent for a C-17 Aircraft Maintenance squadron for over three years, and we made use of EVERY method of training, including TMs, TCTO, AND video training. These were all valuable tools and there is nothing at all wrong with utilizing the available technology.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You tube is not a training video. Training videos are suppliments to support tech manual processes and procedures. They are produced by the manufacture or by an accredited training department. OJT is also utilized, - with the manual open to the particular subject, at the job site. The first questioned asked when something goes wrong is, "What did the manual state?". I ask this question once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks