• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nevada - 5 ton's license plates pulled by DMV

slothman

I have 2 friends with 5 tons registered in Nevada who recently received notices saying that "upon reviewing your paper work, we noticed that your vehicle does not meet department standards for the plate you were issued" and that they need to turn their plates in within 15 days. It further says they need to register at motor carrier.

Having been told that when I tried to register my truck originally, gone to motor carrier, and been told that I can't register there unless I am commercial, regardless of weight...not sure what their options are.

Both titles list the vehicle model (M923xx) and on the titles the GVWR's are <26k.

I have another 2 friends with 5 tons that do not list the model on the title (just make) and did not receive these notices.

Has anyone else gotten one of these (in Nevada?) and how did you deal with it?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off their GVWRs are incorrect. That might be why they were pulled.
Not necessarily. Different states do it different ways. While I realize that GVWR is 33,500, the state may not want to use that number for registration.

As an example, AZ puts 00000 as the GVWR on former military vehicles. (Specifically five zeros). This is written directly into the state licensing regulations.

I have no idea what NV does.I bet silverstate55 knows...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not necessarily. Different states do it different ways. While I realize that GVWR is 33,500, the state may not want to use that number for registration.

As an example, AZ puts 00000 as the GVWR on former military vehicles. (Specifically five zeros). This is written directly into the state licensing regulations.

That's why people need to be familiar with their states regulations and talk to the DMV. Every state is different but you'd think GVWR would mean the same thing everywhere. It is what it is. I know people in TX try and get around Class A driver license requirements by listing a different GVWR on their 5 tons but I'm willing to bet it's bit more than 1 person in the rear (or certainly could). Be honest with the DMV and when you insure your vehicles or gamble with your wallet.

Motor Carrier registration is just for vehicles that are used for commercial purposes. Otherwise you should be able to get regular plates. Maybe someone at DMV in Carson City just looked at the declared gross weight and decided that the vehicle "must" be being used commercially based on weight alone. A trip to DMV should straighten it out. As far as I know there is no regulation that limits the size of a vehicle that you have for private use. Maybe, have you friends ask DMV to provide the appropriate NRS that requires the trucks be registered through Motor Carrier.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Depends upon what year the trucks are and how they were registered. If over 26K GVW, which absolutely should have been noted on VIN Inspection form by VIN inspector, you can either register it commercially or privately. Both will be dependent upon the dry weight of the vehicle for registration fees.

If the vehicle is 25 years old or older, you have the option of registering said vehicle as a Classic Vehicle; however, this requires that the vehicle CANNOT be used for commercial purposes and mileage is limited to 5K miles or less per year. Each year an Odometer Disclosure form must be completed & submitted along with renewals to ensure that the vehicle has not traveled more than 5K miles since its last registration.

I have not received anything regarding my 931 registered as a CV, nor my M920 also registered as a CV. I haven't heard anything of the sort from fellow MVers here with 5-tons either.

Final note: just because your 33.5K 923 is registered as a Classic Vehicle, does not releive you from having proper driver's licensing....you still have to have the appropriate license to drive it (923 requires Class B CDL or Class B Non-Commercial). I have my Class A, making me good with a single trailer up to 70 total feet in length and 80K-pounds. You can get endorsements for double/triple trailers for non-commercial licenses, as well as obtain permits for over-width/over-length/over-weight loads....BUT getting the appropriate non-commercial insurance to cover these exceptions will be the hard part.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Motor Carrier registration is just for vehicles that are used for commercial purposes. Otherwise you should be able to get regular plates. Maybe someone at DMV in Carson City just looked at the declared gross weight and decided that the vehicle "must" be being used commercially based on weight alone. A trip to DMV should straighten it out. As far as I know there is no regulation that limits the size of a vehicle that you have for private use. Maybe, have you friends ask DMV to provide the appropriate NRS that requires the trucks be registered through Motor Carrier.
NAILED IT!! [thumbzup][thumbzup]

sandcobra164

I got hit on this when I registered my 5 ton in Georgia. Weighted plates due weighing over 10,000 pounds even though it's for non-commercial use. Like stated before, it varies from state to state or county tag office from one to another. I know of others in Georgia who still have regular plates and my Deuce always renewed with regular plates despite being around 13,000 pounds. I have tried to argue the point unsuccessfully at my local tag office. If anyone has argued this successfully in Georgia, I'm all ears as it'd save me some money.

TCD

Final note: just because your 33.5K 923 is registered as a Classic Vehicle, does not releive you from having proper driver's licensing....you still have to have the appropriate license to drive it (923 requires Class B CDL or Class B Non-Commercial). I have my Class A, making me good with a single trailer up to 70 total feet in length and 80K-pounds. You can get endorsements for double/triple trailers for non-commercial licenses, as well as obtain permits for over-width/over-length/over-weight loads....BUT getting the appropriate non-commercial insurance to cover these exceptions will be the hard part.
This is not correct in NV! You can designate a maximum GVWR of 26,000 pounds and you will not be required to have any endorsements (e.g., air-brake endorsement required if over 26,000 pound) and a Class C driver's license is all that is required.

I personally confirmed this at the Carson City DMV.

Additionally, build a "permanent" camper on your truck (the NV DMV will provide a set of required items that must be built into your camper) and you can re-register your truck as a RV.

Tom

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not correct in NV! You can designate a maximum GVWR of 26,000 pounds and you will not be required to have any endorsements (e.g., air-brake endorsement required if over 26,000 pound) and a Class C driver's license is all that is required.

I personally confirmed this at the Carson City DMV.

Additionally, build a "permanent" camper on your truck (the NV DMV will provide a set of required items that must be built into your camper) and you can re-register your truck as a RV.

Tom
They must have done you a favor or you have a close friend working at the CC DMV then; NRS states that the GVWR listed on the data plate will determine if you need additional licensing requirements....if stamped GVWR is 26,001 pounds and above, your Class C driver's license won't cut it. Just because you have the dry weight dropped on your registration to save on annual fees, does not relieve you of the requirement to have the proper driver's license. You CANNOT have the GVWR changed without going through the Reconstructed Vehicle procedure (and must have an endorsed engineering firm providing documentation to prove GVW change)...in other words, good luck with that. The GVWR determines driver's license requirements, NOT dry weight.

I too have worked very closely with NV-DMV Motor Carrier Division and did quite a good bit of research and calling Carson City before I successfully acquired my Class A (on my own with my own equipment).

Yes, you can convert your MV to a permanent RV, but as you stated you must abide by the listed driver's licensing requirements.

And this still does not explain why Slothman's friends had their vehicle registrations rescinded; vehicle registrations and driver licensing are two different things in Nevada. There was obviously an issue with the titling and/or registration of those vehicles to have that happen. And we still haven't received any kind of update from Slothman.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to mention that I personally confirmed with NHP investigators that if you are involved in any type of collision/accident, your GVWR WILL be looked at and be an issue...as well as major issues from your insurance company.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to mention that I personally confirmed with NHP investigators that if you are involved in any type of collision/accident, your GVWR WILL be looked at and be an issue...as well as major issues from your insurance company.
Insurance is always what gets me. That's why we don't allow posts about them anymore, too much crap information being spread like butter on toast.

TCD

Thanks silverstate55!

I'll have to do some more research on this subject... It is very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff at the DMV. I made a very concerted effort to correctly register and insure my truck (private use, non-commercial full coverage) and this is very concerning to me.

And I was not trying to explain what's going on with other trucks but rather talking about my experience.

I am reminded of a Alexander Pope quote...

"Some people will never learn anything, for this reason, because they understand everything too soon."

Thanks again,
Tom

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks silverstate55!

I'll have to do some more research on this subject... It is very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff at the DMV. I made a very concerted effort to correctly register and insure my truck (private use, non-commercial full coverage) and this is very concerning to me.

And I was not trying to explain what's going on with other trucks but rather talking about my experience.

I am reminded of a Alexander Pope quote...

"Some people will never learn anything, for this reason, because they understand everything too soon."

Thanks again,
Tom
I'm glad that you had no issues registering your truck, and I hope that your camper build goes well so that you can enjoy many many years & miles of enjoyment from it. [thumbzup]

Nomadic

I have 2 friends with 5 tons registered in Nevada who recently received notices saying that "upon reviewing your paper work, we noticed that your vehicle does not meet department standards for the plate you were issued" and that they need to turn their plates in within 15 days. It further says they need to register at motor carrier.

Having been told that when I tried to register my truck originally, gone to motor carrier, and been told that I can't register there unless I am commercial, regardless of weight...not sure what their options are.

Both titles list the vehicle model (M923xx) and on the titles the GVWR's are <26k.

I have another 2 friends with 5 tons that do not list the model on the title (just make) and did not receive these notices.

Has anyone else gotten one of these (in Nevada?) and how did you deal with it?
Post back what you finger out.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
I have my 5 Ton registered in Las Vegas Nevada as a Make BHCB, model M923A2, year 1991, vehicle Body TST, Odometer brand Exempt weight, gross WT 25,999, GVWR is blank all because I didn't want to go to the commercial DMV, I haven't got that letter. Oh and just in case you all wondering what license he has I have a Nevada NON commercial class A covers everything weight wise as a reg commercial license just not commercial.

Last edited:

Nomadic

Can we keep this thread clean please!!
I will if you will. It was just an analogy.

There is nothing dirty about what I said....unless you have a perception of "dirty fingers". :D Mine are as clean as a whistle. I don't want to know about yours.

TCD

Enforcement vs Taxation

Howdy,

First of all I want to apologize to silverstate55 for my surly tone in my reply to his initial message. I was in fact also wrong in my statement and silverstate55 was correct in his!

I should have also made it clear that I was stating my experience and opinion. And I should have realized that my very amateur status as a big tuck operator leaves lots of room for learning!

I spent the better part of yesterday talking to people at the NV DMV (including the Motor Carrier group), the Nevada Highway Patrol and insurance underwriters. Everyone I spoke with yesterday was very helpful and they were all in general agreement with the following information.

Here is what I have learned:

The simple facts are that the NV DMV is basically a taxation organization and law enforcement is a task assigned to various agencies like the NV Highway Patrol and local law enforcement agencies . This distinction is critical to understanding the interpretation of the laws governing the registration and operation of your truck in NV!

When you register a large truck in the state of NV you pay a basic rate for the registration (covering things like basic registration and general taxes etc.) and then you pay an annual fee relating to the amount of weight your truck is allowed to weigh on the public roads. The GVW that you select can range anywhere from the maximum GVWR as rated by the manufacture (as noted on the data place) down to a much smaller number depending on the truck. The second part of your annual registration fee is based on the GVW you select.

The NV DMV registration GVW only relates to your truck's legal weight on the public highways for the year (taxation).

NV law enforcement organization will be interested in the condition and operation of the truck and they will only use the DMV registration GVW to determine if you are over weight at any given time.

Additionally the law enforcement agency will be concerned with your complying with the Nevada Revised Statutes relating to the condition and operation of the truck. The only truck related information that the law enforcement agencies will use to determine the application of the NRS laws relative to the condition and operation of the truck is the information on the manufacturer's data plate! The NV registration GVW does not alter or preempt in any way the manufactures data plate information.

Given my confirmation of the above information, I have personally come to the following conclusions:

1 – slothman's issue first noted in this thread is solely a problem to be solved by the DMV and given my experience with my registration I’m hopeful that they will be able to resolve this issue without to much trouble.

2 – My 923-a2 has a data plate that indicates a GVWR of 31,500 pounds and therefore I need to have a NV “Class B, Non-Commercial” license and a “Air Brake” endorsement. The following link explains the related NV laws that I am drawing these conclusions from:

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlbookabj.pdf

3 – Operating a vehicle without the appropriate drivers license may: a) cause your truck to potentially be impounded “in place”, b) lead to significant operator citation(s) and c) your insurance company may cancel your insurance and they may not be responsible for providing coverage in the event of any claim.

So I'm sorry folks but these seem to be the facts and personally I'm glad I learned all of this before I was involved in a problem and learned this the hard way…

Thanks again silverman55 for keeping me from making a very bad mistake!

Tom

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Correct me if iam wrong but there is no air break endorsement for non commercial a and. B licence in nevada its included when you get the licence, J is the only endorsement for non commerical mostly for c licence people with big trailers.. judging from the Nevada DMV handbook you just posted. I know the regular commercial license has an air brake endorsement on license it's self

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks