• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nevada Driver's License & DMV Info for NV MV Owners

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been spending quite a bit of time with the Motor Carrier Division folks in our state's DMV. I have finally been approved for a Special Fuel Manufacturer License, and I am the first one in the state to get one for personal use. I just got set up to access the online payment system; usage and other related info is all logged in to an Excel spreadsheet that is uploaded at the end of the month for each previous month's use.

Nevada views UMO/WMO that is filtered & reused as fuel as "Biodiesel." It is covered under the Special Fuel User statute. I pay 27-cents per gallon in total taxes, and now instead of mailing a check I can pay online with no extra fees. I have a hard copy of the SFM license, & made a copy to keep in the truck while I'm burning my special mixture of UMO/WMO. Best part is that since this is for NON-COMMERCIAL (Personal) use, I can run in other states since I now have proof that I have paid my fuel taxes. Apportioned revenue only applies to commercial vehicles (straight from the NV Motor Carrier Division).

More good news: Nevada Deuce owners DO NOT need a CDL nor Class A/B driver's licenses when driving their Deuces for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes. If you are driving your Deuce for personal use, your Class C covers you up to 26,000 pounds. I spent over an hour today at the Motor Carrier Branch DMV office in North Las Vegas to clarify driver's license issues, especially regarding trailers. If you have an M939-series 5-ton, you will need a Class B with an air brake endorsement to drive it for personal use. Your NV Class C license allows you to tow trailers with your Deuce as long as the combination of vehicles does not exceed 26,000 pounds nor 70 feet in length.

If you use your Deuce to tow a trailer with a GVW over 10K pounds for personal use, you will need a Class A driver's license (written test + drive test). Per the NV Driver's License or ID Car Application: "Class A - Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, if the GVWR of the trailing vehicle is more than 10,000 pounds. (Holders of a Class A license may operate all Class B and C vehicles with the appropriate endorsements.) A combination of vehicles may not exceed 70 feet in length."

Class B: "Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another vehicle which does not have a GVWR or more than 10,000 pounds. (Holders of a Class B license may operate all Class C vehicles with the appropriate endorsement.)" (Written test + drive test)

And finally, the regular old Class C driver's license: "Any single vehicle less than 26,001 pounds GVWR, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. The holder of a Class C license may not drive a combination of vehicles exceeding 70 feet in length."

And what if you have a 3/4- or 1-ton pickup (or larger) and tow a trailer that has a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds, such as your fifth-wheel or gooseneck? Then you keep your Class C and obtain a "J-Endorsement," as long as the GCWR does not exceed 26,000 pounds & length stays under 70 feet.

Nevada has long been a rural state dominated by ranchers & farmers; the driver's licensing was intended to protect the rural way of life without infringing upon it...there is also a Farm Endorsement.

If any Nevada residents would like info on how to obtain a Special Fuel Manufacturer/User license & pay their fuel taxes directly to the DMV when burning alternative fuels, PM me for contact info in the Motor Carrier Division. I was able to set my account up & obtain my license via phone, fax, & email; it's quite easy and FREE to do so.

Keep in mind that if you are using your SFM/U license for personal use, you may NOT sell/trade/give away any of your refined products to anyone else, nor use it for commercial purposes...commercial purposes require the posting of a bond (surety) and inspections, etc... The SFM/U license for personal use restricts your alternative fuels to vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or LESS.

I hope this helps, as I've noticed quite a few more Nevada Deuce & MV owners on here lately.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks