• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 1028 Owner, I have a transmission question.

Mello

Well, Picked up my new 1028 last week. Been putting around town in it all week, doing little stuff to it here and there. Well, here's the scenario. I got up this morning to go pick up my front rotors and pads from the parts store, it's about 45 degrees out side. Truck starts fine, little cold start smoke but goes away. I go to leave, put it in gear and head down my street(pretty steep down hill slope to the stop sign[30']) I usually just idle down, I go to pull out and it wont go anywhere, as if the transmission didnt engage in gear. So, I just threw it in park, set the brake, and checked the trans fluid, levels are good.

I noticed over a few days during cold start the trans doesnt shift very hard and wont go into 3rd until I suppose the trans temps are warm, but it will eventually go into 3rd. This morning was pretty rough. Fast forward about 10 minutes of sitting in my street with the truck in gear and foot on the brake in hopes of warming the trans up some. Got warm enough to send me down the road, and after about 10 minutes of driving it was back to normal.

My checks: Trans fluid is nice and red and topped off. Shift linkage is nice and tight, the doughnut gasket thing is good, I'm at a loss. Did a search on here and couldn't really find anything pertaining to my issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start with the basics and do a fluid and filter change. Filter might be spooged up or even slipping off. Also, you are going to need to add your state right there where it says location under your name.

Mello

I would start with the basics and do a fluid and filter change. Filter might be spooged up or even slipping off. Also, you are going to need to add your state right there where it says location under your name.
aTx= Austin, Texas, but changed.

Ill most likely have the filter changed changed and new fluids put in in the next few days. It's just odd, one would think if the filter was gummed up and crusty, the the fluid wouldn't be nice and bright red.

Do you think a gummed up filter would cause it to slip bad when very cold?

Mello

how about some pics
_MG_1234.jpg_MG_1240.jpg_MG_1238.jpg_MG_1236.jpg

Gonna be my off-road/camping toy. Got a few more things coming in the mail. So far Ive done some lighting, put a CB in it, and a few other little things. Just waiting on the rest of my lug nuts to put my h1 wheels and 36's on it. Had a local shop fab me 3" front lift shackles and I have a 2" block kit for the rear. Debating if I want to do the lift or not.

cliffyp

No movement in any gear range is not good. The least daunting cause of this is going to be low line pressure in the transmission.

While its possible that your pump is failing, it can be as simple as low fluid, vacuum problems, or a clogged or improperly installed filter. The filter change is quick and easy. Make sure the new filter has an o-ring seal on the filter shaft and that it is fully seated into the intake pipe.

Mello

Does it do the same thing when it's warm outside? could be a stuck modulator when its cold
It only started when it was cold a couple days ago, prior to that, it was pretty warm out with no issues. But, ive only had the truck 2 weeks now.

No movement in any gear range is not good. The least daunting cause of this is going to be low line pressure in the transmission.

While its possible that your pump is failing, it can be as simple as low fluid, vacuum problems, or a clogged or improperly installed filter. The filter change is quick and easy. Make sure the new filter has an o-ring seal on the filter shaft and that it is fully seated into the intake pipe.
Well, I wouldnt say no movement, after letting the truck warm up for a while, It will start to move, and once I drive it for a while It starts working just fine, but, today on my way home from an off-road park and weekend of camping, mind you, I didnt wheel it due to it started acting up on the way there(I would come to a stop at a light, then go on down the road and wouldn't shift to 3rd) On my way home today, it just wouldn't go into 3rd at all so I pulled off and had a buddy come trailer me home.

In the morning I'm gonna check all of the aforementioned possibilities and hopefully it will be something simple.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

/Brad

truck1

Check your vacuum lines . Start at the modulator and follow the rigid line up to the IP. I had the same problems , late shifting, eventually stuck in gear.Turned out it was a wear through in the rigid vacuum line at the firewall. The line touched slightly and developed a slow vacuum leak . It started to shift through gears later and later until it would not shift at all. Finally it broke completely . I spliced in a rubber line at the break and the tranny immediately returned to normal operation.My truck is a 1028. Worth checking it out.Good luck.

Mello

Check your vacuum lines . Start at the modulator and follow the rigid line up to the IP. I had the same problems , late shifting, eventually stuck in gear.Turned out it was a wear through in the rigid vacuum line at the firewall. The line touched slightly and developed a slow vacuum leak . It started to shift through gears later and later until it would not shift at all. Finally it broke completely . I spliced in a rubber line at the break and the tranny immediately returned to normal operation.My truck is a 1028. Worth checking it out.Good luck.
Thanks for the tip on that, I will check that line, sounds like the exact same symptoms as mine.