• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 105A2 owner

Billdozer2

Hey Fellas,

I'm new to this forum, did an intro on the newbie page, yada, yada...

Just picked up an M105A2 today. Towed home fine about 60 miles of freeway and twisty mountain roads.

Got home and flipped the lunette for a little better towing position. I got off easy, a little PB Blaster, ball peen and a littler leverage and it pulled right out. Probably the difference in buying one from 29 Palms as opposed to Ft. Lewis! There is a little hole at the forward part of the lunette before it drops down. It's at the top now that it's in the reversed position. Anyone know what it is?

I'm thinking of swapping out the axle to a heavy duty civilian one that I can put about a 33" tire on a 15" rim. I travel to Mexico a lot and like the idea of easy tire replacement and this seems the only way to do it. I've searched on here and can't find any threads about civilian wheel/tire combos on these brutes. This should also lower it some which would be handy. Any tips, sources or knowledge anyone can share?

I've already found a wealth of knowledge on rewiring the original housings to 12v, etc and will be stopping by Napa in search of some 1156 bulbs tomorrow. Thanks!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet. As you may have found out, the landing gear doesn't go so low. If you do swap axles you may have to trim the bottom of the landing gear and remount the wheels. I'd also consider taking the whole military pigtail off and adding the connector of your choice. They come apart right under the front of the trailer. Any commerical trailer axle of sufficient width would work fine. Go for one with electric brakes, you'll need them. I'd consider an axle that matches the bolt pattern of the primary towing vehicle if the capacity is high enough. All in all, a very doable project.

Billdozer2

Thanks Recovry, I noticed that about the wiring. Very well made, and this harness seems fresh, the connectors squeaky clean inside, etc. That part appears be pretty straightforward. Someone was following the PM schedule! I agree with the idea of trimming the landing gear, that'll be a project in itself. Might consider just putting a flat plate on the bottom instead of a wheel too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks