• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" 1973 M35A2 w/M66

DrFuzzy

Just took delivery of a 1973 AM General M35A2 with the 50 cal M66 turret ring mount.

Purchased from MRE Depot in California.

I have a feeling I will be learning a lot more about mechanics in the coming year.

Pix are in my album.

--Fuzzy

1973 M35A2
2008 F450

DrFuzzy

Thanks. I actually found this site by searching for the operator's manual, and quickly downloaded everything about the M35A2.

I fired it up today and moved it into my shop. Once I had the engine running, I quickly found out why they call this turbo-diesel engine the "Whistler".

--Fuzzy

DrFuzzy

Thanks. I decided to bid on this particular truck because it was such a good match to the 30KW generator I'd already bought from MRE Depot.

I've been known as "Fuzzy" since 1977 when I went to Rice.

--Fuzzy

Attachments

DrFuzzy

Not having driven or owned a Deuce before, I don't know what a "cab plate" is or does.

I've attached another photo of the ring mount.

--Fuzzy

Attachments

TexAndy

basically a big steel plate that runs from one side of the cab to the other. behind the seats. It's just a reinforcement plate to stiffen up the cab to keep the recoil of a ma deuce from tearing it up.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

CajunM35A2

Great looking ride!!

Congratulations! That is a great looking ride! I am restoring a 1968 M35A2 back to a 'Nam look. I too have the M66 ring to go on it, and to add to the comments of the previous posts, I have a cab plate coming to go on the cab.

Are you putting a gun on it?

DrFuzzy

I hadn't planned to put a gun on it, but a turret-mounted 50.cal makes a great "Keep of the lawn" statement.

First things first...get it registered and legal to drive to town.

--Fuzzy

TexAndy

Remember, Texas has Former Military Vehicle registration. It's $50 for 5 years, pro-rated from a certain date. You can either get a FMV plate or go with markings in lieu of license plates.

eta: If you're going to drive around in Austin, I wouldn't do it with the gun mounted to the ring. Or at least, uncovered. Not unless you like excitement.:wink:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! And that is one very nice Deuce.

If you want some like minded folks to come play with, holler at us at Lonestar MVPA-
Lone Star MVPA - Welcome!
We meet at 7pm on the third Wednesday of each month in the museum on Camp Mabry.

For what was locally known as "The Jeep Club" a few years ago when I joined, things have changed there. At that time Sarge with his M35 was the 'odd guy with the huge truck', when I showed up with my Mog they thought that was big too. Jaws dropped when I drove up in a 5-ton one day... :twisted:
Then Sarge showed up with the MAN 10-ton to reclaim the "Biggest" crown.
Now there are multiple larger vehicles and we big truck folks lovingly call the little vehicles 'crunchies'.
We don't have any tan Deuces in the club, yours could be first!

If you haven't registered a former MV before, holler at me and I will walk you through getting your ducks in a row before you go into the DMV office. It is pretty simple if you know what you are doing rather than relying on the clerk to know. I'll PM you my contact info.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks