• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 1984 m1028 from texas forest service

markg

I picked this up last week from the texas forest service in lufkin. loaded the truck with the wheels locked. The lock cylinder was broke, ignition rod was not attached. I replaced the lock cylinder and used a vice grip to grab the ignition rod . I installed a couple of batterties, pushed the rod to the run position and heard the glow plug relay thump. wow, ive got a good controller card. engine fired up and is running good. alternators are charging. transmission engaged and pulled itself off the trailer. Brakes worked. There's a water leak from the intake somewhere that i will get to later.P1010004.jpgP1010002.jpgP1010001.jpgP1010003.jpg

markg

This truck still has a floormat and an excellent replacement dash pad. also had no chain in the floor for the steering lock. thanks . mark

Looks like my water leak is an expansion plug, ill get to it when it warms up. were going into the freezer again down here till thursday.

Attachments

Last edited:

2002ford

Nice find. I have one waiting for me in Alabama but it is to cold to get it this week. I hope it's half as nice as yours.

markg

Here is what i found in the steering column. this puter gear thats attached to the start rod. i had one in the parts truck but i broke it trying to remove it. are these available new? anybody know? thanks. markP1010001.jpgP1010002.jpg

markg

Today i put the two pieces of the rack together with a metal strap. the hardest part of putting it all back together is getting the lock cylinder clocked right so it rotates and starts the way it did before. i lubed everything real good, and its working fine. i got the horn back, and the wheel locks when in the off position.

The expansion plug is a different story. its the 3rd one back on the passenger side, not hard to get to but i cant get it to stop leaking. i replaced with brass, then steel, it still seeps and wont stop. has anybody tapped and plugged these? or put a real expansion plug in there? the bore looks ok . dont know what to do next. thanks. mark

I would appreciate your input. thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always coat the expansion plugs with aircraft gasket sealer. That gooey tar like stuff.

formagasket.jpg

Last edited:

markg

I always coat the expansion plugs with aircraft gasket sealer. That gooey tar like stuff.
Ive got to find another source for the plugs, im out . when im out looking for those ill pick up some of that stuff. the plug i removed was completely hollow, like it was drilled out. thanks. mark

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are we talking about the freeze/expansion plugs? Just making sure we are on the same page

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So your the one who was bidding against me!!
Hope the truck does great for you.
I ended up with a 1008. Got it home, added batteries and new key tumbler. Started right up and ran till the water made it from the tank to the pump.
Connected it to a fuel can and now the starter has decided to go Bye-Bye

Another Ahab

Hope the truck does great for you.
I ended up with a 1008. Got it home, added batteries and new key tumbler. Started right up and ran till the water made it from the tank to the pump.
Connected it to a fuel can and now the starter has decided to go Bye-Bye
Whenever you buy something used, it seems like you can always count on it:

- "Used" is just shorthand for "AB-used"

markg

Are we talking about the freeze/expansion plugs? Just making sure we are on the same page
The tiny ones under the intake runners. oreilly's had them, 555004. 29/64 expansion/freeze plug. nobody shows them for the 6.2 except gm, but the parts guy found a bag from dorman for a 350 gas engine with different sizes. these were in there and they look right. we'll find out tomorrow.

markg

Hey there , it wasnt me, i thought you were bidding against me! i try to buy only 1028's . someone ran me 300 or so over what i wanted to pay. your truck was the buy of the day, mine was the highest price of the group. mechanically mine will be ok, runs great, i hope to get to drive it tomorrow to see how the drive train is. good luck with yours.

markg

Here is the expansion plug install picture, its holding after 30 minutes at operating temp. the hammer handle is holding the gasket down while running. its the old gasket but looks new, someone has been in here before. thanks. mark

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks