• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 1985 M1010

leisman7

Hows it going, i recenlty became an owner of a 1985 M1010 with 58,000 miles on her. The shifting in all gears is exremly hard and it doesnt shift until it hits high RPMS. Wondering if the Transmision is shot or the torque any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated.
-Thank you

Attachments

srodocker

welcome to the site! you just missed our get together last month. im not familiar with the CUCV series but im sure someone will let you know whats up.

acmunro

There's a good chance your vac lines, vac pump, or both may be faulty. Other components in the vac system are the vac switch on the side of the injector pump and the modulator on the TH400 transmission. Use the search function it has been discussed many times in detail. Good Luck

ralbelt

Ditto on the vac lines. Pull the airfilter assy there is one under it on the drivers side, and also on the modulator on the passanger side of trans.

If its rubber replace it, if its electrical clean it, just my rule of thumb on my cucv.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hows it going, i recenlty became an owner of a 1985 M1010 with 58,000 miles on her. The shifting in all gears is exremly hard and it doesnt shift until it hits high RPMS. Wondering if the Transmision is shot or the torque any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated.
-Thank you
My M1009 had the same problem when I first got it. It would have to be nearly redlined before it would slam into the next gear. Vacuum module on the transmission was shot and most of my vacuum lines had degraded into mush. Replaced these items and made a minor adjustment to the shift points... runs and shifts like new. Oh yeah also changed trans filter and fluid.

91W350

Very unlikely the 400 is shot at less than 100K on the clock, especially with the low gears behind a 6.2 diesel. The gear ratio and relatively low power is not a transmission frying combination. Normally it is something else aggravating your system.

The trucks are 25 years old now though, anything is possible. If they could only talk to us....

OL AG '89

Leisman,

Welcome to the site!!!
Ditto on the strength of the TH400, behind this underpowered 6.2L very rare for failure at less than 100K+..... unless proper maintenance not performed in previous life.

Get into the TM's (technical manuals) they will give you a real good starting point, do the PMCS (Preventative Maintenance Checks & Service) on the vehicle. Check fluid levels, pressures, grease it, lube it, operate lights.........
You can familiarize yourself with the vehicle while performing these checks.
You will identify most everything in a matter of minutes (o.k. an hour or so, done right) "wrong" with the vehicle and you can start from there.
Safety items first.........
everything else next.....
be patient, the truck's old but still has a LOT of life left in her!!!

kapnklug

Doghead is selling VRV's (the vacuum valve on the side of the injection pump that controls the shift points) for cheap. That's what caused the same symptoms in mine. PM him for availability

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do indeed have them For Sale in the classifieds. here's a link. CUCV Vacuum Valves

Your shifting issue is a very common complaint, after we get these trucks from surplus.

Plenty of small things to check and or replace, before worrying about your trans being bad.

I'd bet you'll easily resolve your issue, by following the advise in this thread and by reading the TM.

acmunro

Talking trucks

The trucks are 25 years old now though, anything is possible. If they could only talk to us....
I had to laugh when I read the talking truck thing. Some of the trucks I picked up last winter from GL probably would be saying "oh pain and agony" after GL got done forking them over. There for awhile I didn't think I could get one without a broken transmission case - just had a good run of bad luck.

leisman7

Hey thanks alot guys im going to try all of the suggestions. My plan is to turn her into one bad ass expediton vehicle, ill keep the progress posted. Thanks for all the welcome messages.
-Ben