• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 419 owner here. Couple quick questions

majkowskid

Good morning. New owner here. Just picked up a literally like new 419 from my brother. He had purchased it 7 years ago and parked it in a storage unit. Picked it up this weekend and had to fix a couple wires mice got to behind the dash to get it to start, but it fired right up!

got it home and started testing everything. So far only things I can find that are wrong is that blinkers and brake lights don’t work along with the rear working lights. Oh also the horn. Hopefully these won’t be hard to get working but being totally new to mogs I don’t know where to start looking.

One question, what kind of coolant does this require and where do I add? Straight to the reservoir on top of the engine? I took the dog house off and it was bone dry. The engine did start to overheat after running for about 30 min. Turned off and let her cool down.

majkowskid

Good morning. New owner here. Just picked up a literally like new 419 from my brother. He had purchased it 7 years ago and parked it in a storage unit. Picked it up this weekend and had to fix a couple wires mice got to behind the dash to get it to start, but it fired right up!

got it home and started testing everything. So far only things I can find that are wrong is that blinkers and brake lights don’t work along with the rear working lights. Oh also the horn. Hopefully these won’t be hard to get working but being totally new to mogs I don’t know where to start looking.

One question, what kind of coolant does this require and where do I add? Straight to the reservoir on top of the engine? I took the dog house off and it was bone dry. The engine did start to overheat after running for about 30 min. Turned off and let her cool down.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Guyfang

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.

Here are some of the TM's you are going to need to take care of your truck. There are more, in the last link. Look at the LO, Lubrication Order TM. It tells you what to lube, service or check, and WHERE to add it/check it. The amount of Coolant you will need. I would do a GOOD flush job before I wasted new coolant, but that's up to you. As for what is best, thats like asking who is your favorite Rock band. I am sure someone will soon jump in here to give you their two cents.

BELinNC

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a real nice 419. I like the solid OD green as opposed to the woodland camo mine has. What are your plans for it? Always a good idea to go through it and change all the oils, fluids etc.

peakbagger

With respect to the electrical gremlins, the TM has a very good section on electrical troubleshooting. This is fairly common issue with units stored at the Red River Army Depot and could turn into a lot of trouble. The rats like to nest directly behind the dash and chew on the main electrical harness feeding the dash. The only way to really know how good or bad it is possibly getting a borescope in behind the dash and look around. In my case it was lot of chewed off wires. Since Mercedes used black wires, no color coding, its a challenge. I had to go from connector to connector without the benefit of electrical diagram. The diagram is now available in high resolution in the Misc Tech Manuals section or in lower resolution in the student handout.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks