• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 6.2 diesel radiator hose help...M1009

DanzboysM1009

SS Crew-

I was working on my M1009 the other day, trying to get to know it. The guy I bought it from said the radiator was leaking. I did the Bars Stop Leak trick and started driving it around. After it got up to temp it started to leak, but it wasn't coming from the radiator. I noticed that it was squirting from the junction in the lower radiator hose. So, I need to replace the hose and clamps, however, it looks like it's a 2-piece hose. I checked at Autozone, but they didn't show a 2-piece hose. I took a pic, it's attached, and based on what I saw at Autozone and what's on the truck, it looks like a stock lower radiator hose that's cut in 2 to accept the fitting for the red canister on the fender, whatever that is. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. Want to get it fixed this weekend to get my boys in it Monday. Thanks in advance.

LCDR Dan

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 piece hose is not the usual set up. You can probably plug the "red canister" hose and go with the correct hose, or cut a section out of the new hose for the tee for the smaller hose.

DanzboysM1009

G-Force-

Yep, you're right, RED canister reads "120v/ 1500 watt" with a 3 prong plug. I'd assume that is for severe cold weather situations? Can I take it out? If I do, it looks like I have to replace an upper heater hose as well as there's a T there too. I appreciate all the help, what do you all think I should do? Keep the heater and cut the hose or get rid of it and replace them both?

LCDR Dan

SmokeyDod

My M1009 has same heater as yours. You should have a 110v plug in cord. I have never used or had to use it due to it never gets cold enough to need it. It gets down to mid to low teens a few times but my M1009 glow plugs works like it should (maybe sometimes I may have to cycle it twice). I have plugged it in once to see what it would do. You could hear it gurgle as if moving water and after 15min you could feel water getting warmer. To me if it ever starts leaking, I will take it out of system and just replace it with regular lower radiator hose. Just ask for a Lower rad. hose for a K5 blazer w/6.2 diesel. You can use 83 thru 86 year mod. I found out BEST THING IS NOT TO MENTION THIS IS A MILITARY VEHICLE UNTIL AFTER YOU GET YOUR PART IN YOUR HAND.

boondock

That's a worthless mickey-mouse tank heater installation with the heated coolant being returned to the radiator instead of cycling through the engine block. Remove it & replace both upper & lower hoses as has been mentioned.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When dealing with the circus clowns at the parts houses, use the vehicle 84 K-5 with the 6.2. It will get you the right parts 98% of the time. Better yet, look them up yourself on line and go in with part numbers. Parts counter guys are a nearly extinct breed and so much the worse.

bkwudzhom

Advance auto has them for 13/15 dollars. Be sure to keep the belt guard on the upper hose. It protects the hose from the alt belt.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks