• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 813A1 - broken PTO

bevanet

My new 813A1 from GL french camp was delivered. After a little inspection I found that the drive line was dis-connected from the winch, and worse yet, the pto box was hanging by the linkage. We had to move the truck, so I figured out that the plate on the pto box was the same size as the hole in the tranny. We bolted it on with 3 bolts since the other studs were broken and left in the tranny. We filled the tranny and it started right up with only 2 new batteries. I don't think it had been started for 5 years or so, but it barely spun the crank and it was running. I was able to drive it 13 miles to my place.

Now I need to figure out how to fix the pto. The case of the pto is broken. Has anyone ever tried to weld one together, or is it better to buy a replacement? If it is better to buy, where are some good places to look?

Any ideas how this would get broken? It is high enough in the truck that it seems unlikely that it was hit. There is an aluminum shear pin wired on the grill, so it doesn't seem like someone would have used a wrong pin since a good one was right there. I wasn't there when it was delivered, but I didn't see a large oil spot under it.

I've attached some pictures of the PTO

Thanks, Erik

Attachments

kurtkds

What I heard from an old timer is that sometimes the GI operating the vehicle would put slack in the winch line then backup and try to jerk out the stuck vehicle. When the slack came out of the line it would put such a sudden load on the input to the winch that it would cause the yoke to bind up so that the shear pin couldn't do its job. The torque would then be transferred to the PTO and rip it off its mount.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks