• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 923a2 owner with a few questions

charger53

I just traded a boat and a little cash for a early 90's 923A2 and a 15kw trailer mounted generator. The truck also comes with a non mounted 11 or 12ft snow plow. The guy I traded with bought 2 of these with plans to plow roads for a huge wind tower project we have out here. Someone else ended up with the contract this year so he traded me for the truck he hasn't had the plow mounted on yet.
That gives a bit of background on the truck. My friend also was military in a past life, specifically a mechanic, so the trucks have been gone through and well cared for.
I am considering building a mount for the plow and installing a wet kit. (still undecided)
Does anyone know if the PTO for these trucks is common to other vehicles or is it specific to these? I have a couple of wet kits from previous civilian trucks that I can combine to build my own if the PTO's are interchangeable. I don't want to spend a lot for a plow that I will be using a few times a year, but I will do the labor to make it happen. If I do this the plow will be easily removable so I can still work and play with my new toy.
I am picking it up this weekend and I am sure I will have a lot of questions as I get to know her.

charger53

Thanks! I saw the manuals, and I will download as soon as I am home later. I was wondering though if anyone knows if the PTO is common to other vehicles or if it is specific to our trucks? I have enough parts and skill to fabricate everything else I would need.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without checking MAPQUEST, is Limon anywhere near Denver? I have a good friend in Denver named Dino (he's on this list, but not often) who is very knowledgeable about the M939 series trucks. Best of all, he has an M923A2 that was converted to an M925A2. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you his cell #.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the PTO required is available on the civilian market but it's not a very common one. Chances are the ones you have on hand won't work.

If I can remember I'll crawl under my truck tomorrow and see if I can get a PTO number.

charger53

Thank you. I should be able to fab all the mounting brackets and shafts for my hydraulic tank and pump set, then it's just a bunch of plumbing hydraulic lines and I'm good to go!
My seller tells me the truck should be delivered tomarrow!