• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New accessory for my Mep 005a

BMinor9968

Are these load banks 400 hertz? They are for aircraft, and aircraft are 400 hertz.
It says. 1. General. The dunny load is designed to perform electrical loading tests on power plants rated either 28 volts or 120/208, 3 phase, 4 wire, 400 cycle A.C.. Both Dummy load systems (A.C. and D.C.) may be operated individually or simultaneously without influencing each other's loading capabilities

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Those are big bucks. Better off selling to someone who will use it for load banking ground power gens and buy yourself a nice civilian load bank with the proceeds. I won one of those a few months ago. Had the paid inv and then the gov took the thing back.

BMinor9968

Those are big bucks. Better off selling to someone who will use it for load banking ground power gens and buy yourself a nice civilian load bank with the proceeds. I won one of those a few months ago. Had the paid inv and then the gov took the thing back.
The gov took it back after you paid for it? Have you picked it up? Will it work with a Mep 005a? What did you pay for yours? I paid right at 400 with the taxes and fees. Thanks Bernard

BMinor9968

What are the civilian load banks going for?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Same one as you have. Never got to pick it up the gov backed out of the sale. They can do that. Not the first time it happened to me. I use big 3 phase heaters to load bank bigger gens. Couple thousand for a real load bank. If the 400hz one you have is in good working shape you should have no prob getting that for it.

BMinor9968

Will this one work for my MEP? I'm not looking to do lot of load testing just trying to check a few things on my MEP. I love the design and the portability of it but will part ways with it if it wont work with my setup. Thanks Bernard

Guyfang

Staff member
In message #3 you showed us a picture of the manual. That's the reason I asked in message #5,"In the manual, does it specify you can also use 60 hertz, (cycles)?

So you tell us, what does it specify?

BMinor9968

The only information I can find is on the directions and diagram on the inside of the lid. I have looked for a manual but havnt been able to find one yet

Guyfang

Staff member
Unless you test a bunch of DC power generation, I don't think you can use this load bank. It is primarily for 400 hertz gen set testing. And for gen sets you have never seen, let alone heard of. I spent 20 years in ADA, who only use 400 hertz gear, and could not use this load bank. We had 416 volts/ three phase 400 hertz gen sets. If you are going to buy it to resale, do it. But you can't use it.

csheath

This page reads all the fans and controls are 28 VDC. Loads are variable resistive. Will measuring have the same effects as delivering? I get that sending 400 HZ into a house wouldn't work but it seems a [FONT=higoim+times-roman,Times New Roman, Times, serif]resistive-reactive[/FONT] load should be okay for testing a 60HZ gen. Not saying it would work but thinking out loud. Might need to rig up a pretty potent transformer to power the controls and fans.