• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New and need guidance on using steel soldiers!

BallisWelding

In the process of purchasing a 1969 M35A2 and I would guess that there are threads on fuel filters, oil filters, etc. that members would recommend and where to buy them. If someone could point me into the right direction as to searching for those forum, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not a deuce guy, but you will find a vast amount of knowledge and personal experience here. First, go to the TM section and download all of the manuals for your truck. Start familiarizing yourself with the material. The military wrote them and the troubleshooting parts for 18-year-old kids so usually they are spot on. When you hit a snag, that's when the experts can chime in when you're stumped. Also....pictures say a thousand words and are more helpful than any description you can try, so always post a lot of these (plus we all like to see each other's work and cool fixes). Good luck and welcome!

One last thing, there are a ton of threads in here for your truck. I would suggest reading as much as you can from them (I'll bet there is a few stickies for parts as well)

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! You're almost in the right section. On the home page, scroll down to the section titled "Post Vietnam to Desert Storm vehicles". Right at the top is "The Deuce". There you will find all threads related to the M35A2. You were close, but your truck isn't an Early Deuce. This site is laid out in a very logical format, but takes time to learn the terminology.

Here is a link to the Deuce parts spreadsheet:

Most part numbers on that list can be cross-referenced at major parts stores. If you get stuck, ask. Folks on here are happy to help.

I second the motion to download (they are free) the relevant TMs (Technical Manuals) for your truck. They really are a very useful tool. Congrats on the new truck and good luck!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't volunteer anyone else, but if you hit a snag, feel free to message me.

Congrats on your new to you deuce and remember, it's big, but at the end of the day it's a truck. Electrics are electrics, hydraulics are hydraulics and bolts and nuts are just bolts and nuts.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new to you deuce and remember, it's big, but at the end of the day it's a truck. Electrics are electrics, hydraulics are hydraulics and bolts and nuts are just bolts and nuts.
...or as my girlfriend exclaimed the first time she drove a gasser 5-ton , she said, "All it is is a steering wheel and stickshift !" No big deal !

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She speak German?
my dad was there during the last weeks of the war and then was transferred into the Constabulary in Bavaria .. He was in some little town south of munchen that had a former military school or barracks they occupied and it had a motor pool and shop... He stayed until spring-47 , two years, and was discharged.. When I was a teen he taught me some of the language but I usually don't do well putting together sentences .. Both his older brothers were discharged just about the time he arrived

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
My Father in Law spent 3 years on the Russian front. Wounded 3 times. PTSD poster child. I learned most of my German from him. He told me he was too old to learn another language. He lied. He picked up a lot of English. We thought we had a secret language. We sat down every night with a German/English dictionary, and talked about the war, the army, renovating the house and later, EVERYTHING. Its a shame you don't remember the name of the town where your father was. Sounds like Bad Tölz.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a shame you don't remember the name of the town where your father was. Sounds like Bad Tölz.
i heard him say that name but cannot recall if it's where he specifically was ...i have a bunch of his pics.. compound, barracks, trucks, jeeps, kids, friends, countryside, some small-town war damage ... he didn't label locations but there are names of the guys in pictures .. i have browsed the constabulary website for unit or "Troop" locations, but his unit info on his discharge papers is incomplete .. there was also a lake where he would borrow a rowboat on weekends after he made T4 (tech-sgt) ..Got pics of the lake etc too .. I recall he could visit the alps in a day and munchen was "not far" to the north..

he didn't talk about it much other than the vast majority were good people, but still had to be careful in '45-'46 patrolling the remote areas for contraband etc .. By '47 he was promoted to doing clerical duty and whenever he got bored or wanted to be himself would go turn wrenches in the motor pool with friends..

One of his brothers was wounded during the Bulge but continued on with the unit as they diverted into Austria.. The brother told me as they drove southeast, the french were more of a problem than the germans, were in the way all the time ..

Their oldest brother was in the pacific 1942-45, posterboy for survivor's guilt and ptsd.. . Of 300-something when they first went in, he and a dozen-ish others were all that remained of the original bunch. He was wounded a few times but not bad enough to send home. The Japs couldn't kill him but what he had experienced eventually would.. He was a very tough cookie and good man, but very deeply troubled

Perhaps I should post some of dad's pics of the buildings in the garrison , someone may recognize them .. as mentioned, it had been a military school or something of other german military importance

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do. I might be able to find it.
late-1945 or 46 , i think this ceremony pictured is taken at what became Jensen at the Saar-Kaserne , I matched it to some 1950's photos on the constab site.... I have been able to identify his other pics, which are at the installation at Garmisch and around that area . . I have some other picture locations in question but will have to post them via conversations forum i suppose

20240223_160313.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
There were several Kasernen in Garmisch. Today, only 2 I think. The Military used to have 3-4 hotels there, that were killer!

I suppose we could just start a thread? That way its easy to post pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks