• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New animal in the yard.

moosebgy

Picked up a 1944 Studebaker M29 Weasel with the original running gear and motor. Paint job isn't that great but some of the original stenciles are visible and I'm going to try to remove the camo paint to read all the numbers on it. Currently runs like a top but looks like I'll be replaceing the turning brake bands soon.

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it! Did you pick that up private party? How tough is it going to be to get what you need as far as parts? What was that little guy's mission when it was in service?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's cool. I want one, oh, wait, I live in Ca. What license do I need for that? Are the Mi. and Hrs original as far as you know?

moosebgy

I traded a CJ5 for this from a private party. He used it for back country moose hunting up here. Been checking and there seems to be a few places where I can get parts, don't know how much it will cost but they are out there. As far as I know the miles/hours are original so overall not many and hopefully with a little research I can find out when/where it was used.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always liked the M29 Weasel. I could've bought one for $4,000 at Aberdeen in 2000. Still kicking myself over that one.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No moose here in Ohio, but when I first looked at it, I thought it had, "deer hunting" written all over it! Now i'm wondering, would it fit in the bed of a deuce?

yorkgulch2

I have never seen one with a hard top that looks right. That one does. Is that original equipment?
There is a weasel group web page. I think they are based in Colorado.
Also Russ Morgan in Loveland or Fort Collins, CO advertises parts and weasels in the Supply Line.

That is just so cool seeing one of them again. We took a 4 day Alaskan back country fishing trip in a weasel back in oh..... :roll: :roll: 1962. I loved that thing and have always dreamed of having one.

My family has 16mm home movies of it running through streams, rivers and the tundra along with my dad in the M151........somewhere. There's another thing I gotta do, get them old movies on DVD before they completely disintegrate.

FormerNewMVGuy

RE: Weasel

Had a friend of mine recently bought two weasels and built one really nice one out of the two. And yes we checked to see if it fit in the bed of my deuce!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

If you need parts, give Mike Howard at Liberty Restorations a call - he has semi-loads of parts for these things - and is making track as well.

Congrats on your new toy!!!

Regards,
David Doyle

moosebgy

Yorkqulch2: as far as I know, I don't know if the top is original or if something fab'd up. I'm thinking it's not original equipment for there is also 2 'roll bars' inside also.

DDoyle: thankyou for the info for parts. I'm sure I'll be needing some before long. Also, I don't look at Weasel as a toy. These vehicles are "Mental Therapy Equipment", at least that's what I tell my wife.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Sorry, gave you bum lead - its Liberty Restorations - not Victory - and they are still going strong. They demod reproduction track a couple of weeks ago in Spooner.

Regards,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks