• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New batteries still wont start

notsosanestan

okay i just bought two new workaholics and my truck still wont start i had a optima yellow top and red top both with at least 800 cca but they seemed to not hold a charge. Its been really cold here high of about 30 i had it running on sunday went to start it monday and it just cranked and cranked then stopped. Now with the new batts in it cranks but it doest seem as fast as it was when i first got it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like a starter problem . maybe its gelled up add some 911 to the tank . pull a filter and check for ice. 30 degrees farenhight is not cold for a good battery and winter fuel . couple of min with glowplugs and it will start at that temp

Last edited:

notsosanestan

trying to pull it into the garage to check it out those were the first two things i was going to check. thanks for the fast replys

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you certain that the new batteries were fully charged when you installed them? Lead acid batteries should always be fully charged prior to placing in service and this will make them also last longer. The original dry charge on the batteries is minimal. This could account for the seemingly slower RPMs of the engine while trying to start. I don't think this is your problem, but you might want to put the charger on the batteries overnight, and try to warm the engine.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Check your fuel pump by opening the drain plug on the filter and cranking. If that is okay, check your glow plug relay (it is clicking on, isn't it?) then your glow plugs.

4bogginchevys

when brushes start getting mucked up in a starter a lot of juice can get wasted, if it's goin' in the garage anyway you could pull it apart and clean it real well.:-D

kenny

I agree with 4bogginchevys

Sounds like a starter to me if your batterys are hot and you have good grounds.I would pull the back of the starter off and look at the brushes. I use to go offroad alot and one time mine did the same thing and it was one of the brushes was sticking and not making a good contact because of dirt or mud that had dried up around the brush. I pulled it apart ,cleaned it and put it back together and it worked fine.

notsosanestan

glcaines was right i charged the batteries up fully with this automatic charger i have works awesome by the way. But once i charged them up after a few tries and cranking it she fired up. Now i gotta sell these optimas there only a year old but cant handle it when its cold they start getting slow when you are cranking it for awhile still going to check all the glowplus probably going to get those AC60G ones

woodyNla

If you have to crank on it a while at 30, I would think it is the glow plugs at fault. Just replaced the GPs in the 1031 and when I heat them for 15 seconds, it takes maybe one or two seconds to start. It really makes a difference with a good working GP system.

As an FYI, I replaced them with the AC-60Gs and put a push button bypass along with the 12V conversion. Works like a charm every time.

notsosanestan

finally fixed the problem today.. turns out it was the Gen 1 light bulb being loose it wasnt letting the battery charge looks like i got new bats for no reason! oh welll

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's funny you mention the glow plugs.

Most people will tell you to just replace them.

Guess what? One of the things you do when you replace them is clean all the connections before you put the new GP's back in.

I've found that because the engines on these seem to leak a little around the front of the valve covers, it can dribble a thin layer of oil over the GP's, causing it to not function properly.

I removed and cleaned each of the ends of my GP's and the connector going to it and got the same results as if I had replaced them.

Before it took two or three tries at cycling the GP's to get it to start. Now she starts right up after the glow plugs cycle only once.

Just food for thought.

notsosanestan

okay so now she starts right up when i first try but after i drive around come home then try to leave again it just cranks and cranks. both bats say 12.8 volts. the meter is in the green when i drive. anyone else have problems starting when the truck is warm? its about 45 deg today here this truck is starting to frustrate me!

guess next thing is to check the alternators to make sure they are charging even tho the lights dont come on and its in the green

notsosanestan

the hose on the right side of the fuel filter was leaking some diesel is it possible that it is sucking in air? and when it sits for a lil it bleeds out then i can start it?

twinfiftys

Yep, I had the exact same problem. Checked all of my ground connections battery cables everything. Nothing helped. Finally made all new cables out of welding lead wire. Starts first time every time. Got to thinking later it kind of makes sense, after all those battery cables are all 30 years old or more.

Optimas are terrible rip off batteries.
That is your opinion. Ive had mine in my mustang for 3 years, with no problems. The two years prior my car went through 2 motor-craft batteries. I even got a battery minder to try and keep the motorcrafts from dieing, didnt help. The florida heat is hard on batteries, I have yet to have a problem with my optima.