• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Blue M1009

NCH18

Just wanted to check in with some pics of my new m1009. This is a little long but I've been reading this site for the past 2 months straight and want to contribute what I can.

It's my first MV and it already might be my favorite vehicle I've owned. I got it off of GL out of Fort Jackson (SC) and paid around $2800 after fees and taxes. Had a max bid of $2000 in my head but got caught up in the action. Sorry if I was bidding against anyone on here.

I'd never heard of SS or CUCVs when I bid on it, just thought a cheap, low mileage, diesel Blazer sounded like something I needed. When I won it I found SS while trying to figure out the GL process and how to get it home. Ended up getting in touch with SS member Ferroequinologist who really went out of his way to help me out. Picked her up for me and spent all day helping me get it right for the 4 hour drive home. Hooked me up with cheap blem batteries from his buddy up the road, introduced me to his pig and ferrets, helped me rig up a leaking radiator, get off a stubborn oil filter, etc. Big shout out to Adam.

This thing is in really nice cosmetic shape for a 30 year old truck imo. No body rust, no rust underneath, lots of new parts and rubber. Odometer reads 12,000 miles for what little that's worth, A lot of the window and door seals have been replaced fairly recently. New alternator, starter solenoid and a few other things that I can see are new but don't know what they are yet. :whistle:

Found maintanence records in there up to 2010. It had a magnetic sign on the door that said "DOL Maintenance Vehicle Contact Team." So I guess it was probably the DOL that got it from the military, painted it blue, and put some new parts and rubber in it.

Also, calculated my MPG at 23 on the trip back, small sample but I think 20mpg highway is a safe bet which I'm happy about.

Worst thing about it is when I started tearing out the floor mats, the insulation underneath was damp and had rusted up the floor some. Only a couple pin holes so far but it's gonna need some attention. There was also some oily substance floating on the coolant but oil and ATF are clean as they could be so fingers crossed.

Things I've done so far:
- Change all fluids and filters - still gotta get around to the transmission filter
- New glow plugs - 6 came out easy, 1 I had to break off and fish out with hemostats, 1 right up against the firewall I haven't figured out how to get at yet
- New batteries
- Doghead starter relay
- New belts
- New tires - found a deal on some lightly used 32/12.5/15's on craigslist. Would have preferred 33's but not for $600 more
- Pulled the radiator and had it tested and rebuilt, flushed the whole cooling system really well
- Got a receiver hitch off a 6.2 K5 in a junkyard, painted it, really hoping I can get it to fit. Somebody ran off with my pintle before I picked the truck up so I figured I'd go ahead and do it right.
- Replaced the door striker bushings - stopped the door leaking and needing to be slammed. I couldn't find the bushings but I found a 18" length of black pipe in the plumbing section of home depot for $.97 that matched the bushing dimensions and cut it down. Something along these lines but I'd have to double check which one, definitely Orbit brand but not threaded: 1/2 in. x 18 in. PVC Riser-38094D at The Home Depot

My next project is getting the rust off the floor pan and getting down some bed liner.

Also just got a m101a2 with a couple generators on it to go along with it (plan to sell the generators). Yall tried to warn me...

One question before pics, how do I know if this blue paint is CARC? It has a weird velvety look to it. Definitely no clear coat. Not sure what it is though.

Thanks!

Attachments

ryan77

Welcome ! Nice lookin rig! The green disease is very addictive! Looks like regular blue paint is the texture rough? Ive never seen carc in that color!

NCH18

Thanks guys!

Ryan - the paint's pretty smooth but looks almost like it should be soft to the touch and kinda changes color from blue to green depending on the light. It just doesn't really look like any paint I've seen which is why I thought it might be CARC. Could be a Krylon job for all I know.

My wife calls her Smurfette and wants me to paint the top white and paint yellow flowers on the wheels...

ryan77

Your probably seeing the green through the blue thats why u get the effect!! I would paint "psychedelic rock dream" on the rear......lol

my86m1009

Nice truck, I just bought mine from Ryan77 ^^ I have a couple small things to fix but i love the truck so much, no one believes me when i say it is actually out of the military. Get ready to get addicted to working on them...

ramcatdoc

Welcome to Steel Soldiers! I love my M1009, too. My kids call it the Cuckaroo. I just call it Sherman. It's a blast, fun to drive, and reliable. And I never have to fight my wife to drive it, either -- she just tolerates it. But we guys all have big goofy smiles when we walk by it in the driveway. :-D

NCH18

That's brilliant Ryan, don't know why I didn't think of it - seeing the old OD through the blue at certain angles/light.

I've never been much of a mechanic. All my vehicles have either been too nice to risk messing up, or too crappy to really get excited about working on. This has been the perfect balance though. I go out there dreading what might go wrong and next thing I know the suns about to set and I'm trying to think of more things I can do on it.

Now all the nice words go out the window if I start having electrical problems, that's when I call in the pros.

Thanks for the warm welcome :beer:

Last edited:

Csm Davis

I have one like it and it is a army truck it was used as a op four and a range truck before that so it was green then yellow then blue. Probably just regular enamel paint. Mine is totaled so it is being parted out.

combatmech

Awesome score!![thumbzup] So you're the one!! LOL.... I was this close ( ) to bidding on that one. Love the color..... I suspected it was a range vehicle as well.
Have fun with it!!

NCH18

Thanks, love the background info! I'm gonna see what Carnac can dig up on it one of these day.