• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Bolt On wheel ADAPTERS for FMTV & 5 TON COMBAT rims

peashooter

New Bolt On wheel ADAPTERS for FMTV (MTV/LMTV) & 5 TON COMBAT rims

Just made my first batch of "MULTI-FIT" wheel adapters for the MULTI-FUEL (and those other deuces with the yellow under the hood:D).
This is a bolt on adapter that will fit the following rims to work on the 2.5 Ton Deuce Rockwell Axles:

- FMTV Rims aka: MTV or LMTV (have 20x, 5/8” bead lock studs, on a 17-1/2” pattern),
- 5 Ton Combat Rims, A2/Newer Style (have 10x, ¾” diameter bead lock studs on a 17-1/4” diameter pattern)
- 5 Ton Combat Rims, A1/Old Style (have 10x, 5/8” diameter bead lock studs on a 17-1/2” diameter pattern)
All 3 rims have 10 lug nut holes and an 8-3/4” center hole

These just bolt onto the rim’s outer bead lock bolts (20x for the FMTV, 10x for the 5T Combat rims).
The center of the stock wheel still needs to get cut out, which sounds daunting for some of us that don’t have a plasma cutter or torch. But to show how easy it can be done, I cut the center out of a FMTV wheel with just a standard jigsaw and a metal blade in 5 minutes. (check the next post for some pics of that process.)
The good news is that the cut is only for clearance, so it doesn’t need to be a “precision” cut, plus it gets hidden by the adapter plate.

I’ve sent out a couple sets to some people with FMTV rims to try out and report back with pictures and thoughts but here are some pics for now. I am looking for some folks to try these out on the 5 ton rims. If you are interested in that send me a PM, and we can work out a good deal.

Oh yeah, these are for "OFF ROAD USE ONLY"

Attachments

Last edited:

peashooter

FMTV Install Instructions
I know there has been lots of talk of modifying wheels. Usually I tune out when I read “plasma cut”, “water jet”, “turned down on a lathe”, “laser cut”, etc. I figured if a wheel conversion was going to be popular then it had to be easy to do.
Those of us without a plasma cutter will at least have a jigsaw or $25-$50 to buy one. Below are the pictures from the FMTV wheel conversion I did to demonstrate how easy it can be done. I timed the jigsaw cutting and it took me 6 minutes to do one wheel, but that was with a few stops for pictures and a couple breaks to brush the chips out of my hair. FWIW: I used a Bosch orbital jigsaw with some Bosch T123X blades that came with it, I really like these blades! (Definitely want safety glasses on for this since lots of little metal bits were flying during the cutting).
Obviously if you have a plasma cutter or torch, then it will go even faster.

Here are the steps I did:

1. Took off front ring of wheel
  2. Drilled 1/8” hole through from the front side where I wanted the cut to be (as close to the lip of the center portion of the wheel as possible.
  3. (Flip ring over, now working on back side)
  4. Made a simple scribe tool out of scrap 2x4 and 3 sheetrock screws, 2 screws are the guides, the last screw is used as the “scratch awl” to scribe a circle that lined up with the 1/8” hole
  5. Drilled 3/8” hole on the inside of the scribed circle for the jig saw blade to start.
  6. Using a nice metal cutting blade, cut along the inside of the scribed line around the rim.
  7. Flip ring over again to the front side and grind away any ridge or left over lip from the center ring that was cut out so the adapter will sit flat on this surface.
  8. Put adapter on with the hexagonal hole over the valve stem hole.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Wow good thinking with your homemade scribe tool! This looks to cost a little less than some of the other adapters due to not needing so much extra grade 8 hardware to aquire, am I right?

peashooter

Wow good thinking with your homemade scribe tool! This looks to cost a little less than some of the other adapters due to not needing so much extra grade 8 hardware to aquire, am I right?
They end up being close since these don't need 10x -1" bolts/nuts to be purchased like the Mraps do. However, these have about 15 lbs more steel to each one and many extra holes, both of which add $.

ntxcop

I can't wait to get my adapter plates in. I've removed the 6 front rings from my wheels, and was going to take them to a machine shop to have the centers cut out. After seeing your homemade scribe "tool" idea, and hearing how easy it was to cut them yourself, I think I'll just follow your lead and make my own scribe, and cut them myself. I'll take some photos along the way and forward them to you as I go.

Take care.
Keith

GFB

Thanks for making these. Now I wish I wouldn't have passed up the set of FMTV wheels with 395s a few months ago.

peashooter

First pictures of adapted FMTV wheels on a deuce (using these adapters)

I just got a few pictures from one of the first "testers" that I wanted to share. He is using these adapters for some FMTV wheels he had gotten for his deuce. I'll pass along more pics as I get them.

Attachments

Last edited:

peashooter

Its been a while since I've posted on these adapters. In total I've probably made only about 50 of them. Since they are quite a bit of work to make, package, and ship, I have decided I probably won't be making anymore of them after this next run. Below are a couple pictures I've gotten from folks (thank you).

For everyone out there who has 5 ton style combat wheels that they want to make fit their deuce, you may want to just consider trading for MRAPs or whatever the next best thing is. There are an unimaginable amout of MRAP rims out there now that will not bolt up to much... but will bolt to a deuce with an adapter plate.

Since GL is dumping all the 5 ton trucks now as well, there is a pretty good market for people who have 5 ton trucks with the stock NDT tire/split rim wheels that want to upgrade to the combat rims. So deuce owners... try to sell your 5 ton combat rims to the 5 ton guys. They are probably worth more than MRAP rims at the moment due to supply and demand. If anyone has gotten these from me and NEEDs a spare/replacement etc, pm me and we will work it out otherwise these can now be considered a limited edition:)

Attachments

peashooter

I dont know with 100% certainty, but the bolt pattern is the same and the offset is nearly the same as well.... So I'm sure the 5 ton combat rims would fit a FMTV and not cause any type of rubbing issues or anything else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks