• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Camo Job

usmcpatriot

I racked my brain to cammie my truck...went to sites of various conflicts camo...Vietnam, WW2, Korea, and present day...even tried to use digital stencils...like Marpat...well got pissed off and went freestyle...Please tell me what yall think...comments are welcomed and encouraged.....Tried to add attachments if they do not come out please go to my photo album...CUCV M1008

USMC-VET 2nd Bat 6th 2 MARDIV

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to do the front grill and push bar.

That kills the overall 'disappearing' type look. But other than that...

THAT IS ONE SWEET LOOKING PAINT JOB. Very good. Love how it blends in and basically disappears.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it blends better than the 3-color woodland camo. What matters is what YOU think. If you're looking for concealment and not "restoration" then you nailed it.

Elwenil

Well since comments are welcome and encouraged I will be honest. As most of the longtime members of SS know, I much prefer the standard patterns over "freestyle". I will also have to disagree that it breaks up the silhouette of the vehicle. It does disrupt the overall image of the truck but if you look at it objectively, you can easily make out recognizable parts of the vehicle in the shots where there is something between the camera and the vehicle and in most of the pics the vehicle clearly stands out. I'm not saying the military patterns are perfect in any way, but they do disguise the type of vehicle and make it harder to make out clear shapes like the windows, grille, wheelwells, etc that make identifying the type of vehicle. I'm not saying anyone is "wrong" for painting their truck in whatever way they please, just that there is a big difference in a camouflage pattern designed for a specific vehicle for a specific purpose and one that is just random. Again, to each his own, but I wouldn't count on that pattern keeping my vehicle hidden during the zombie apocalypse. ;)

usmcpatriot

In response to wsucougarx, german flectar camo gave me the idea...to Elwenil still working on it, the wheel wells need to be broken up, I concur...and during the upcoming zombie apocalypse, does it matter?:cookoo: thanks to all for the comments, great help......

dragonwagon

I think it looks cool , different . If your real goal is to make it hard to spot then the problem is this .

The larger spots used in camo is to break the straight lines of the truck , line along the hood for example . Brown over the corner where the box ends . The straight lines of the veh are not being broken by your paint scheme .

I like the look but depends on your goal you may not have quite hit it such a tight patteren . Larger blotchs to achieve the cloaking .

Iv only " read " about camo , its intent and why patterens are used . So i wouldnt listen to me unless others agree .

197thhhc

The truck would blend better when the leaves are on the trees. I think its fine. Maybe throw in some brown sections for all year concealment. I dont think there is a wrong way to camo a vehicle. Its what you like. Being different is good. We shouldnt all be clones. Also zombies hunt mostly by smell. Not sight.

Midnight Rider

It's definitely different and if you like it that is all that matters.

To me, at first glance it looks like any of the random 80's model GMC/Chevy trucks I see in my area that have been camo'd out. It doesn't look like a CUCV. But that's just my opinion and it looks like the majority so far have liked it anyway. I guess I'm just different.

Props to you on taking the initiative, though.

DXTAC

I DIG IT!! If you weren't in VA I'd ask that you do mine as I am stuck on what to do with mine too!! I don't want traditional, I like individual. I have always been one to think outside the box! :)

edpdx

Ditto :ditto: on what WARWAG just said. As an owner of two camo trucks, I think that the look is better than most of the free hand schemes you see. It looks like you had an actual "pattern" in mind. That is the difference. Most just go at it until the cans run dry and they are "
finished". I have had folks give me the thumbs up on my by-the-numbers paint job because I think it is so indicative of what they (civilians) and others have come to identify as ARMY "real" painted camo. But if you are happy with it... that's all that really matters.

Personally I think anyone that has met their objective painting their truck is entitled to feel good about their accomplishment.. Goodonya [thumbzup]