• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New canuck just checken in

yotawheeler

Well...im very new to this site and these vehicles, i dont own any military vehicles yet however....i would really like to get a deuce or a 5 ton truck, a 800 series i think? im not to sure, like i say im still learning.

anyways....a little bit about me, iv been into trucks since i was 16, more specifically land cruisers, i own a '74 FJ40 which im turing into a trail/bush truck, a '81 BJ42 that WAS a daily driver....till it got stolen...then the day i got it back i got hit by a semi...long story and ya, then there is my '78 FJ45 which i plan to rebuild with my dad if either of us ever has time. So ya, im a welder by trade, im at school for my B level right now and at some point i plan on going back to school for engineering again...yet another....long story but ya, i guess this thread might kinda be worthless without pics so here are some of my toys

this is the FJ40 that im building for the bush, my dad sitting on the drivers bucket so i could get the pic

and then what was my DD

but ya, i would love to get my hands on a deuce or a 5 ton for commercial purposes once i start getting a shop set up for myself and do a few mods to make it a little bit more comfy (air ride/suspention seats are at the top of my list) and maybe something to get a bit more jam out of that engine...other reason i would lean towards the 5 ton is the cummins engine...

so i have a few questions about finding, buying and if i would actually be able to get one of these suckers across to canada, i have heard that you cannot export them when they are purchased from a US government auction but what about if i bought it from a private seller, such as 100 dollar man, he seems to have reasonably priced trucks but i would get a un bobbed one for hauling and work, in the trails here they would be virtually useless (my cruisers have a hard time fitting in some of the trails). or, are these trucks available in canada? differences? and where from?

thanks for any help guys

Guy

Last edited:

charlietango

welcome from Winnipeg.

Friend of mine just brought a 2.5 across last week. PM for details or talk to ODNorth as suggested already.

good luck! its addictive. ;)

yotawheeler

wsucougarx: much as i would love to come down and check out the rally and meet some people in the SS crowd....i just started school again and im kinda low on funds at the moment.

charlietango: awesome, thats what i was looken to hear! I will defanitly have to drop ODnorth a PM

also another question for the canadians....do you need anything more than a class 5 to drive one of these? i dont think i am able to get anything more than a class 5...

Stan Leschert

Come up to North Van for a pint. We'll talk. Welcome in.
As for DL requirements, class 5 is all you need. Air endorsement is handy but not required as it is a secondary braking system, not primary. I have one and do not regret it. Contact Valley Driving School. They seem to be the best.
While downing a pint or 2 I will tell you what little I know.

Last edited:

yotawheeler

hhhmmm i will defanitly have to see when i can get out that way, im over on the island just north of victoria but would certainly like to stop in at a pub or something for a pint or 2

Lex_Ordo

Speak to Sung Yoon, at Iltis
I've bought plenty of parts from him, and he seems to know about shipping over the border.
Also, buy a DND 1/4 Ton M101 CDN2. There should be quite a few still around in Cananda, and they are the last of the light trailers. When they're gone, there will be nothing left.

yotawheeler

NICE, thanks guys! i will have to get on contacting some of these people and start doing my hw so when i get out of school and start working...i can just figure out what i want and start going through the motions of getting it here.

Lex_ordo, do you know where those DND trailers can be bought from? there is a DND yard here on the island but....?

Condec

Yotawheeler, You should roar up to Courtenay next weekend and scope out the two M139 Bridge trucks. Came out of a logging camp up the coast where they were used as fire tankers. They are a package deal (2 trucks) Way easy to build one classy unit out of the two .All hydralics and rear assys are intact. PM me for more info Condec

Lex_Ordo

In Canada, No. I bought mine from a surplus vehicle dealer in Colorado.

The only place I know of is The link I posted above. Sung is a very knowledgeable guy. Just click on the yellow word Iltis, and you will be redirected.
I know there is a seller in Quebec, but I have heard horror stories about them.

yotawheeler

awesome, i will try to see what i can find about those bridge trucks, right now i cant buy anything *much as i would like to* i need to finish up school (supposed to be 3.5 months more) and then i can start working/saving for one. im just looking for info and sources at the moment. thanks guys for the welcome and the info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks